Help ID’ing what’s wrong with my purple tang.

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all and happy Easter! Quick backstory. I suspected ich in my 125 fowlr system so I did a 30 day Hyposalinity treatment where I held 1.008-1.009 for 30 full days. After about a week into it my purple tang started having these white spots show up and it gradually got worse. I am attaching a photo and any help would be appreciated.
IMG_3563.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of two things:
Lymphocytosis, which is a viral infection that usually pops up as a response to a stressor. It is not curable, but also is harmless and goes away on its own.
Secondary bacterial infection from the ich.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of two things:
Lymphocytosis, which is a viral infection that usually pops up as a response to a stressor. It is not curable, but also is harmless and goes away on its own.
Secondary bacterial infection from the ich.
Thank you for the response. It’s been about two weeks since I came out of hypo in that tank and I decided to try ruby rally pro which I started yesterday in hopes of preventing any secondary infections. Would you recommend anything else at this point?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look bad. I agree that several things are going on here including lymphocystis, ich, mucus plugs (perhaps due to ich). I believe the copper protocol is need to rid the fish of ich. That works best in a QT and all fish need to be treated.

EDIT:

Ruby Rally Pro is an antibiotic containing acriflavin. Unfortunately, that does not treat ich. And, If more dots are continuing to appear, ich remains probable.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. It’s been about two weeks since I came out of hypo in that tank and I decided to try ruby rally pro which I started yesterday in hopes of preventing any secondary infections. Would you recommend anything else at this point?
For hypo, it’s meant to be 30 days after the last spot disappears. Anything less and it can reappear.
For antibiotics, kanaplex is a good one, but it should be administered in a qt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not lym
Hello all and happy Easter! Quick backstory. I suspected ich in my 125 fowlr system so I did a 30 day Hyposalinity treatment where I held 1.008-1.009 for 30 full days. After about a week into it my purple tang started having these white spots show up and it gradually got worse. I am attaching a photo and any help would be appreciated.
IMG_3563.jpeg
This is not lympho and is rather mucus cones which may have stemmed from a skin irritation and likely mixed in with ich
Treatment will be coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days and monitor the ammonia level in quarantine tank. Other fish may need to be treated as well

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hypo, it’s meant to be 30 days after the last spot disappears. Anything less and it can reappear.
For antibiotics, kanaplex is a good one, but it should be administered in a qt.
I did 30 days from the last sign of white spots on the fish that originally had signs of ich. I should’ve clarified that earlier. The purple actually didn’t have any white spots until after hypo was started.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not lym

pjo and and is mucus cones which may have stemmed from a skin irritation and likely mixed in with ich
Treatment will be coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days and monitor the ammonia level in quarantine tank. Other fish may need to be treated as well
Thank you. What is PJO?

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look bad. I agree that several things are going on here including lymphocystis, ich, mucus plugs (perhaps due to ich). I believe the copper protocol is need to rid the fish of ich. That works best in a QT and all fish need to be treated.

EDIT:

Ruby Rally Pro is an antibiotic containing acriflavin. Unfortunately, that does not treat ich. And, If more dots are continuing to appear, ich remains probable.
Thank you for the response!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 30 days from the last sign of white spots on the fish that originally had signs of ich. I should’ve clarified that earlier. The purple actually didn’t have any white spots until after hypo was started.
Mucus plugs can show on blue and purple tangs for unknown reasons. Is the fish showing any other symptoms?

I can see spots on the fish’s fins though. Mucus plugs are rarely seen on fins, but ich commonly does show on fins.

That leaves an indeterminate diagnosis. Hyposalinity may not have worked to cure ich, or the stress from the treatment is causing mucus plugs, or a mix of both issues.

If ALL other fish in the tank have zero symptoms, you might want to just observe things for now.

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus plugs can show on blue and purple tangs for unknown reasons. Is the fish showing any other symptoms?

I can see spots on the fish’s fins though. Mucus plugs are rarely seen on fins, but ich commonly does show on fins.

That leaves an indeterminate diagnosis. Hyposalinity may not have worked to cure ich, or the stress from the treatment is causing mucus plugs, or a mix of both issues.

If ALL other fish in the tank have zero symptoms, you might want to just observe things for now.
The purple is eating and acting normal. No flashing, scraping or elevated breathing. All of the other fish are doing very well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I fixed the sentence as it separated while typing - not lympho
Thank you. What is PJO?

The purple is eating and acting normal. No flashing, scraping or elevated breathing. All of the other fish are doing very well.
Often seen with mucus plugs- normal behavior but not normal appearance

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - how long did you do hyposalinity- and what specific gravity did you use?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back