Metronidazole

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Metronidazole: Treats internal parasites (flagellates), Brooklynella, Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Metro can be found as a stand-alone drug (ex. Seachem MetroPlex, FishVet Metro-MS, Hikari Metro+) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (ex. API General Cure). For intestinal worms, it is best to soak metro in the fish’s food. Use Seachem Focus to bind it to the food, and feed until symptoms (white stringy poop) are gone. For brook & uronema, dose the medication directly into a quarantine tank for at least 10 days.

Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. The general consensus is that while soaking it in fish food IS “reef safe,” dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine.

Pros - Can be soaked in fish food, making it reef safe. However, Seachem Focus needs to be used to prevent the medication from leaching out. Also, it is a good idea to run carbon just in a case. ;)

Cons/Side Effects - Certain fish seem to have a negative reaction/side effects to metronidazole.

When using straight 100% metronidazole powder, I dose 500 mg for every 20-40 gallons (80-160 liters). I typically start on the low end (500 mg per 40 gals), and then slowly ramp it up to 2x that if I'm not seeing positive results from the lower dosage. Too much metro too soon will kill certain fish.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Tags:

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

How to use Seachem Focus:

Dosing in Food

Stir together the medicated food mix (recipe below) before feeding. Feed the fish once daily as much as they can consume in about 1 minute. Treatment periods will vary but it is recommended to treat for at least a week. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.

• 1 scoop of medication of choice
    • 1 scoop Focus™
    • 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
    • A few drops of water if using a dry food
    To enhance palatability use with GarlicGuard™ or Entice™.

Seachem Medications for Medicated Food Mixes

MetroPlex™: Treats internal and external parasites and bacterial infections
    KanaPlex™: Treats internal and external bacterial and fungal infections
    SulfaPlex™: Treats external fungal and bacterial infections
    NeoPlex™: Treats bacterial infections of the intestines

Source: http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

3. Humblefish

Metronidazole is an interesting medication, because its full potential is not completely understood. As both an antiparasitic and antibacterial drug, it has a wide range of effect. More research & experimentation needs to be done on metro.

This article (provided by @Brew12) is a good read: http://aac.asm.org/content/43/7/1533.full

4. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Does metro really cure ich, as seachem states..?

5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

The best answer I can give to that is yes and no. Metro will kill the crypto parasite. If I were in a bind and had no better options I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I am very confident it would not to completely clear Ich from a tank if used as directed. I haven't found much any studies that show how to use it to completely eradicate the parasite from a system.

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  6. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Expert Contributor

+1

7. Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula Well-Known Member

Is this reef safe?

8. Brandonsegula

I'm guessing put the food in a net and rinse with rodi water before feedings?

9. Humblefish

10. Brandonsegula

11. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Try seachem focus method, iv been doing it recently and i guess its working. Not issues with corlas and inverts.

Humblefish and Brandonsegula like this.
  12. Humblefish

I use a shot glass and let everything soak for at least 30 mins before feeding. Mix well using a spoon, and then just take small amounts and broadcast feed it to the tank.

13. Brandonsegula

Thank you I'll do this is it good to defrost the food before adding the medication?

14. Brandonsegula

Also will running carbon effect any of this? I'm removing mardels parashield from the water. Stuff was a waste of money. Tomorrow my lfs should have the focus and metroplex so I hope it isn't to late then. Fish are still eating. Just my tang is covered in it really bad.

15. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Running carbon will be a good idea if you are going to use focus and metroplex to help absorb any metro that makes it into the water.

Humblefish likes this.
  16. Brandonsegula

Okay does metroplex help black ich?

17. Brew12

Unfortunately, no. However Prazipro will treat black ich and it is reef safe for the most part.

Humblefish likes this.
  18. Brandonsegula

Can this also be used to bind with focus and metroplex at the same time?

19. Brew12

I don't believe it can be used with Focus. I'll let @Humblefish or @melypr1985 answer if Prazipro can be dosed into the display tank at the same time you are feeding fish with Focus and Metro. I'm not comfortable making advice dealing with drug interactions.

Humblefish and Brandonsegula like this.
  20. Brandonsegula

Understood. I just don't wanna put something thats not 100 percent reef safe in my tank.

Draft saved Draft deleted