Metronidazole

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole (Flagyl)

What It TreatsInternal parasites (flagellates), Brooklynella, Uronema marinum.

How To TreatMetro can be found as a stand-alone drug (e.g. Seachem MetroPlex, Hikari Metro+) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (e.g. API General Cure). When using 100% metronidazole powder, I dose 500 mg for every 20-40 gallons (80-160 liters). I typically start on the low end (500 mg per 40 gals), and then ramp it up to 500 mg per 20 gals by the 3rd or 4th dose. For brook & uronema, dose directly into a quarantine tank every 48 hours for 10-14 days. For intestinal worms, it is best to soak metro in the fish’s food. Use Seachem Focus to bind it to the food, and feed daily for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms (white stringy poop) disappear. My formula for food soaking metro (and prazi) can be found below:

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved
Feed after soaking for 30 mins
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use

Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. The general consensus is that while soaking it in fish food IS “reef safe,” dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine.

ProsCan be soaked in fish food, making it reef safe. However, Seachem Focus needs to be used to prevent the medication from leaching out. Also, it is a good idea to run carbon just in a case. ;)

Cons/Side Effects Certain fish seem to have a negative reaction/side effects to metronidazole; however this is rare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use Seachem Focus:

Dosing in Food

Stir together the medicated food mix (recipe below) before feeding. Feed the fish once daily as much as they can consume in about 1 minute. Treatment periods will vary but it is recommended to treat for at least a week. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.

• 1 scoop of medication of choice
  • 1 scoop Focus™
  • 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • A few drops of water if using a dry food
To enhance palatability use with GarlicGuard™ or Entice™.

Seachem Medications for Medicated Food Mixes

MetroPlex™: Treats internal and external parasites and bacterial infections
KanaPlex™: Treats internal and external bacterial and fungal infections
SulfaPlex™: Treats external fungal and bacterial infections
NeoPlex™: Treats bacterial infections of the intestines

Source: http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is an interesting medication, because its full potential is not completely understood. As both an antiparasitic and antibacterial drug, it has a wide range of effect. More research & experimentation needs to be done on metro.

This article (provided by @Brew12) is a good read: http://aac.asm.org/content/43/7/1533.full

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use Seachem Focus:

Dosing in Food

Stir together the medicated food mix (recipe below) before feeding. Feed the fish once daily as much as they can consume in about 1 minute. Treatment periods will vary but it is recommended to treat for at least a week. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.

• 1 scoop of medication if choice
  • 1 scoop Focus[emoji769]
  • 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • A few drops of water if using a dry food
To enhance palatability use with GarlicGuard[emoji769] or Entice[emoji769].

Seachem Medications for Medicated Food Mixes

MetroPlex[emoji769]: Treats internal and external parasites and bacterial infections
KanaPlex[emoji769]: Treats internal and external bacterial and fungal infections
SulfaPlex[emoji769]: Treats external fungal and bacterial infections
NeoPlex[emoji769]: Treats bacterial infections of the intestines

Source: http://www.seachem.com/focus.php
Does metro really cure ich, as seachem states..?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does metro really cure ich, as seachem states..?
The best answer I can give to that is yes and no. Metro will kill the crypto parasite. If I were in a bind and had no better options I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I am very confident it would not to completely clear Ich from a tank if used as directed. I haven't found much any studies that show how to use it to completely eradicate the parasite from a system.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best answer I can give to that is yes and no. Metro will kill the crypto parasite. If I were in a bind and had no better options I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I am very confident it would not to completely clear Ich from a tank if used as directed. I haven't found much any studies that show how to use it to completely eradicate the parasite from a system.

+1

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing put the food in a net and rinse with rodi water before feedings?

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I let the food soak? Also after to soaking should pour the food in a net and rinse with rodi water so it doesn't affect the corals?

I use a shot glass and let everything soak for at least 30 mins before feeding. Mix well using a spoon, and then just take small amounts and broadcast feed it to the tank.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a shot glass and let everything soak for at least 30 mins before feeding. Mix well using a spoon, and then just take small amounts and broadcast feed it to the tank.

Thank you I'll do this is it good to defrost the food before adding the medication?

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also will running carbon effect any of this? I'm removing mardels parashield from the water. Stuff was a waste of money. Tomorrow my lfs should have the focus and metroplex so I hope it isn't to late then. Fish are still eating. Just my tang is covered in it really bad.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also will running carbon effect any of this? I'm removing mardels parashield from the water. Stuff was a waste of money. Tomorrow my lfs should have the focus and metroplex so I hope it isn't to late then. Fish are still eating. Just my tang is covered in it really bad.
Running carbon will be a good idea if you are going to use focus and metroplex to help absorb any metro that makes it into the water.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this also be used to bind with focus and metroplex at the same time?
I don't believe it can be used with Focus. I'll let @Humblefish or @melypr1985 answer if Prazipro can be dosed into the display tank at the same time you are feeding fish with Focus and Metro. I'm not comfortable making advice dealing with drug interactions.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it can be used with Focus. I'll let @Humblefish or @melypr1985 answer if Prazipro can be dosed into the display tank at the same time you are feeding fish with Focus and Metro. I'm not comfortable making advice dealing with drug interactions.

Understood. I just don't wanna put something thats not 100 percent reef safe in my tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%

Back