Metronidazole

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I just don't wanna put something thats not 100 percent reef safe in my tank.
Prazipro is reef safe for just about everything but feather dusters and bristle worms.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is reef safe for just about everything but feather dusters and bristle worms.

I don't have any of those so i should be okay. Hopefully my lfs has some tomorrow when my medications come in. Seriously this has been so stressful. I pray nothing happens over night. Everyone is eating like crazy and still swimming. My cleaner shrimps and cleaner wrasse have been doing their jobs the best they can. I blame this all on myself. I order the make anthias didn't quarantine and then this happened. Stupid mistake.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Metronidazole: Treats internal parasites (worms), Brooklynella, Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Metro can be found as a stand-alone drug (ex. Seachem MetroPlex, FishVet Metro-MS, Hikari Metro+) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (ex. API General Cure). .
^^
Does the ex. in parenthesis mean except, or example?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding metroplex and focus to the fish, you can still run prazipro in the display at the same time. Remember that prazi only needs to be present in the water for 24 hours to do it's work. A water change and carbon after 24 hours is perfectly fine and should help calm your nerves about it. Just be sure to do the second round 5-7 days later.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use Seachem Focus:

Dosing in Food

Stir together the medicated food mix (recipe below) before feeding. Feed the fish once daily as much as they can consume in about 1 minute. Treatment periods will vary but it is recommended to treat for at least a week. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.

• 1 scoop of medication of choice
  • 1 scoop Focus[emoji769]
  • 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • A few drops of water if using a dry food
To enhance palatability use with GarlicGuard[emoji769] or Entice[emoji769].

Seachem Medications for Medicated Food Mixes

MetroPlex[emoji769]: Treats internal and external parasites and bacterial infections
KanaPlex[emoji769]: Treats internal and external bacterial and fungal infections
SulfaPlex[emoji769]: Treats external fungal and bacterial infections
NeoPlex[emoji769]: Treats bacterial infections of the intestines

Source: http://www.seachem.com/focus.php

Does the 5:1 focus to med ratio recommended on the focus label just a way to sell their product?

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding metroplex and focus to the fish, you can still run prazipro in the display at the same time. Remember that prazi only needs to be present in the water for 24 hours to do it's work. A water change and carbon after 24 hours is perfectly fine and should help calm your nerves about it. Just be sure to do the second round 5-

Has it had any effects on your corals?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the 5:1 focus to med ratio recommended on the focus label just a way to sell their product?
No, you can do a 1:1 ratio
Also does the prazipro make your skimmer go nuts?
Yes it will.

Prazi can cause corals to fade a bit, but they will bounce back quickly. I've only seen this happen one time and that was in my own tank. Nobody else has reported this happening.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the directions for Prazi-Pro include shutting off the skimmer when you're using it.

If the skimmer is left running, wouldn't it strip the medication from the water?

~Bruce, who started at the middle, and didn't realize how off-topic his post was . . .

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the directions for Prazi-Pro include shutting off the skimmer when you're using it.

If the skimmer is left running, wouldn't it strip the medication from the water?

~Bruce, who started at the middle, and didn't realize how off-topic his post was . . .

I don't know about stripping it from the water but I know the skimmer will go NUTZ one the prazi is introduced. If the simmer is outside the sump then it could absolutely not only take the meds out of the tank but take water out of the tank with it! lol I've actually had this happen with chemiclean at the store.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay I got my tang in quarantine now. Feel so bad for the guy. Took me close to 2 hours to catch him. Also I called seachem in case I can't remove all fish. They told me by feeding the food it cause the fish to be toxic to the parasite and the parasite will eventually die off? Does anyone have any input on this?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I got my tang in quarantine now. Feel so bad for the guy. Took me close to 2 hours to catch him. Also I called seachem in case I can't remove all fish. They told me by feeding the food it cause the fish to be toxic to the parasite and the parasite will eventually die off? Does anyone have any input on this?
That is the theory behind it. I don't know how much testing has been done.

One of the biggest problems is the recommended treatment window. Ich can stay in its cystic stage for over 2 months according to some studies. If you only treat the fish for 2 to 4 weeks it may clear up the symptoms but you won't eradicate the parasite. To be safe you would want to treat the fish for 76 days but I'm not sure what health impact the prolonged Metro exposure would have on the fish.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the theory behind it. I don't know how much testing has been done.

One of the biggest problems is the recommended treatment window. Ich can stay in its cystic stage for over 2 months according to some studies. If you only treat the fish for 2 to 4 weeks it may clear up the symptoms but you won't eradicate the parasite. To be safe you would want to treat the fish for 76 days but I'm not sure what health impact the prolonged Metro exposure would have on the fish.

I'll do that in my display tank.
My tang and one clown I got in quarantine were the only ones I could catch. I am treating them with mardels coppersafe. Can I feed the dr. Gs frozen while treating with coppersafe???

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I feed the dr. Gs frozen while treating with coppersafe???
There's no point in doing that. You can feed it to the ones in the display, but I have serious doubts as to whether it actually works. I'd be willing to bet that once this is all over and you put those two fish back into the display they will have ick again. You're better off just removing the rocks and getting the rest of the fish out even if you have to break a few in strategic places to do it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back