Help with my sad toadstool please

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that high nitrates are not okay or normal although there are tanks out there that have higher (160 on some I read) that are absolutely beautiful and the tank owners don't seem concerned about it. I've been trying to get mine down almost since the beginning. Even fishless, it was high. My point was that it most likely wasn't her nitrates that were an issue with the toadstool. I do WC's, tried nopox etc. and about the lowest I get them is 20. I don't run a carbon reactor and when I used fluconazle and had the skimmer off for 9 days, everything hummed along merrily. Even my acros don't object. My phos bottoms out to where I have to dose but the nitrates remain between 20-40. I am now rinsing all frozen to see if that improves it.
Yea. I think I'm going to try a little vinegar here soon. I got a good Costco deal on some tasty white stuff but I'll never use it all for pickles. I've got an empty chamber now that I'm not auto dosing dosing mag.
I do need to remember to take some water to the lfs and have em test or with another kit.

I did once have the fabled unicorns of live rock once. Leaking Po4 and no3. Has to toss it. And naturally is was the most money I've ever spent on one rock.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a toad stool. A leather coral. The grumpiest coral on the planet

Don't look directly at it. Walk softly near the tank. Always address it as your majesty. (Don't let the cat hear you ). And yes a jiggle with the flow a bit. and try various musical style interludes ;)

They can pout for weeks. If you don't see change in five days juggle the flow again. Danger signs are Look for crusty bits like soggy bread coming off or like dry stale bread drying up on the flesh.

[emoji23][emoji23] maybe I haven’t been curtsying properly

Thank you to everybody for commenting!! I really appreciate it! [emoji2]

I thought I was totally screwing things up (yet again) because the toadstool is unhappy. I got the toadstool thinking it was supposed to be an “easy” coral! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now I know not to worry about it for now, and that my nitrates are too high and can work on that, regardless of whether that’s why the toadstool is cranky.

Thank you again, all!! So glad I have this community willing to take time to comment and help out.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone’s in better spirits today!
c5c7d53319c8a47068a46a5d0469f7a2.jpg

I did two partial water changes to bring the nitrates down, and moved the flow to hit him more directly. Don’t know if that’s why he’s feeling better, but glad he’s himself again. [emoji1]

He does have a tiny hole where it looks like a polyp is missing? Weird?
db9dfb1fee3ef0f15504df990dc3c534.jpg

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Mine are starting to come around too, after looking terrible for almost a month.

Yay!! Here’s to happy toadstools!

So today the toadstool is so happy and my mushrooms are unhappy! Two of them went walking and the other two are tiny and mad. I never know what’s going on in there! Lol

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine closed up for months for the first year. A few months ago, it magically started extending its neon green polyps an hour or so before the lights turn off, but only about 1/16th an inch.
Its almost 2 years old now and it has actually doubled in size.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. IMOPE, Toadstools as well as many other leather and tree corals like more flow than what is generally recommended. Mine do best at 45x.

I'd work on getting your nitrate level down, as well. While most soft corals like a little more nitrate than sps, 40 is a bit high. I'd try to keep it around 5 - 10.

My green wont tolerate anywhere near that amount of flow; I wish it would because it's a pain in butt trying to keep it happy in an SPS dominant tank until I rehome it.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green toadstool opens and closed 1-2 times daily but when it sheds it is closed for about 3 weeks at a time. it has lots of flow. It was the size of my thumb when I got it 1.5 years ago and now when fully open almost the size of my open hand.

Katlyn Cravenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about what I can do with the toadstool I have. I rescued it from a bad tank. It looks like it’s breaking from the base it is attached too. What can I do because it won’t stand up

JordanCadence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a toad stool. A leather coral. The grumpiest coral on the planet

Don't look directly at it. Walk softly near the tank. Always address it as your majesty. (Don't let the cat hear you ). And yes a jiggle with the flow a bit. and try various musical style interludes ;)

They can pout for weeks. If you don't see change in five days juggle the flow again. Danger signs are Look for crusty bits like soggy bread coming off or like dry stale bread drying up on the flesh.

Hi, I know original thread posted years ago- but your last comment here is exactly what’s happening to mine and I can’t figure out why. White/brown Deterioration and divots around the cap. little chunks or flakes crumbling off of it. I’ve heard shedding, splitting, pests, bacterial... any ideas? Thanks!

2CF91E10-1CF6-4669-B644-0C497B8F8B6F.jpeg

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know original thread posted years ago- but your last comment here is exactly what’s happening to mine and I can’t figure out why. White/brown Deterioration and divots around the cap. little chunks or flakes crumbling off of it. I’ve heard shedding, splitting, pests, bacterial... any ideas? Thanks!

2CF91E10-1CF6-4669-B644-0C497B8F8B6F.jpeg
Hi Jordan! I got out of the salty side of the hobby, but I check in on R2R still sometimes and saw this notification. Sorry your toadstool is being problematic. If you haven’t already, I would say you’ll get more attention for it if you make a new post. Good luck!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back