Help with plumbing sch80 bulkhead

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve got a new tank that came with sch80 bulkheads. When I put my sch40 into these bulkheads it’s pretty loose. I’m not convinced I’m going to get a good joint. What am I missing? Thanks, Jerry.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 80 bulkheads are larger outer diameter than schedule 40, while having the same inner diameter. I wouldn’t advise it. Why would you want to go down the schedule 40 from schedule 80?

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 80 bulkheads are larger outer diameter than schedule 40, while having the same inner diameter. I wouldn’t advise it. Why would you want to go down the schedule 40 from schedule 80?
A schedule 40 pipe has the same outer diameter as a schedule 80 pipe. The walls of a sch80 are thicker thus reducing the inner diameter.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This makes no sense. If the schedule 80 bulk head had a larger outer diameter, then schedule 80 pvc pipe won't fit in it since sch80 and sch40 pvc pipe HAVE THE SAME OUTER DIAMETER.

Op, how loose is the fit? Does it wobble from side to side? Can you post a picture?

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't quite understand the knock of "dropping from sch 80 to 40", very few folks are running systems that would come anywhere near hitting the PSI limit of sch40 piping, certainly not on an overflow.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense. If the schedule 80 bulk head had a larger outer diameter, then schedule 80 pvc pipe won't fit in it since sch80 and sch40 pvc pipe HAVE THE SAME OUTER DIAMETER.

Op, how loose is the fit? Does it wobble from side to side? Can you post a picture?
Schedule 80 and schedule 40 PIPE have the same outer diameter, but schedule 80 has a smaller inner diameter, to accommodate for the increased thickness of the schedule 80 pipe.

For bulkheads it is the opposite. It has to accommodate the same size pipe, but the sch 80 bulkhead is thicker, and thus has a larger outer diameter.

If you don’t believe me, look it up on BRS. It’ll tell you the diameter of sch 40 vs 80 bulkheads.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also don't quite understand the knock of "dropping from sch 80 to 40", very few folks are running systems that would come anywhere near hitting the PSI limit of sch40 piping, certainly not on an overflow.
Schedule 80 and schedule 40 PIPE have the same outer diameter, but schedule 80 has a smaller inner diameter, to accommodate for the increased thickness of the schedule 80 pipe.

For bulkheads it is the opposite. It has to accommodate the same size pipe, but the sch 80 bulkhead is thicker, and thus has a larger outer diameter.

If you don’t believe me, look it up on BRS. It’ll tell you the diameter of sch 40 vs 80 bulkheads.

I think this is all just a mix up and all of you need to calm down, @Gablami the OP is not trying to put a sch40 bulkhead in a hole for a Sch80 bulkhead. He is saying his sch40 PIPE is loose inside his sch80 bulkheads and is concerned about that.

@Jerry Barnes as @Pntbll687 asked above, do you have any pictures? How loose is the pipe inside the bulkhead and how far can you insert the pipe into the bulkhead?

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is all just a mix up and all of you need to calm down, @Gablami the OP is not trying to put a sch40 bulkhead in a hole for a Sch80 bulkhead. He is saying his sch40 PIPE is loose inside his sch80 bulkheads and is concerned about that.

@Jerry Barnes as @Pntbll687 asked above, do you have any pictures? How loose is the pipe inside the bulkhead and how far can you insert the pipe into the bulkhead?
Ah, must have read that too fast. Calmer heads prevail. Maybe try upsizing the pipe?

OP
OP
J

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for your updates. The pipe had a pretty loose dry fitting which I didn‘t like. I found a set of Sch80 bulkheads I had ordered from BRS a couple years back. The pipe fit snug in these bulkheads. What we have here is probably cheap bulkheads that don’t follow standard tolerances. Thanks Jerry

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back