Help with proper flow equipment

Jamborick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a Reefer 425xl, I’m getting into the hobby slow and don’t know what livestock and coral types I’m going to end up. I also don’t want to be limited by poor equipment purchases and don’t want to have to buy twice, I’d rather get it right the first time. So far I have a Neptune Cor 20 return pump and am getting ready to purchase powerheads. Im looking at 2 Maxspect Gyre XF330s for the sides and either Tunez 6095s or Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2s for the back. At this point I can’t tell if I’m making good decisions or am a BRS marketing victim. Since everyone has more experience than me, any feedback would be appreciated.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decide what kind of tank you want (SPS, LPS, softie, mixed) before you buy the powerheads. SPS require a lot of flow, LPS and softies not so much. I have an Icecap 150 gyre for my 40g LPS/softie tank and run it from 10-60% to vary the flow. I don’t know about other powerheads but hopefully someone will chime in. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jamborick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m going to see how I do, likely mixed with softies first then LPS and SPS if I have success. I chose those powerheads since the flow % can be adjusted.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back