Help With Skimmer Purchase

davecaste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need some help here. I am going to purchase a new skimmer for my 93 gallon cube ASAP. I am replacing a Simplicity 240 DC and am looking at either the new version of Bubble Magus Curve 7 Elite or the Reef Octopus 152-S skimmer. I am hoping that you guys can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you didn't like about the simplicity? Are the DC pumps on skimmers not as good? I'm was thinking of upgrading a curve 5 to the elite version myself.

OP
OP
D

davecaste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you didn't like about the simplicity? Are the DC pumps on skimmers not as good? I'm was thinking of upgrading a curve 5 to the elite version myself.
I really liked the skimmer at first. I started the tank around April this year and I am now on the 3rd skimmer pump. They have all been replaced under warranty but it took over a week to get the replacement pumps. I am having issues again with the 3rd pump in 8 months so I am done with it. When it works it works great but my experience with the pumps have been horrible.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the money, i have always loved bubble magus. never had a bad one.

OP
OP
D

davecaste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the money, i have always loved bubble magus. never had a bad one.
I'm leaning towards the new curve 7 Elite but there are no reviews yet. They have upgraded a few things on it and they are also on sale at a great price.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards the new curve 7 Elite but there are no reviews yet. They have upgraded a few things on it and they are also on sale at a great price.

i haven’t used their new model but their old ones were solid. i used the hob, nac3, curve 5 and curve 7.

OP
OP
D

davecaste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven’t used their new model but their old ones were solid. i used the hob, nac3, curve 5 and curve 7.
Thanks for the help. I guess the new one has a upgraded pump and generates more air. The old and new are about the same price.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I guess the new one has a upgraded pump and generates more air. The old and new are about the same price.
The elite curve skimmers have the gate valve vs the pipe. I was thinking that this would give you finer control when tuning.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back