Help with Snowflake Ocellaris. ¿Parasites?¿Worms?¿Constipate?

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all guys,

I need help with my ocellaris. I was treating him for two weeks in a QT tank, with Cupper and Metronizadol thinking that he has some internal/external parasite. Two days ago i did him a fresh water dip, but now it is getting worse and day by day is releasing long hair poo...

Symptons are:
- Swollen belly.
- Long hair white poo, very very long (about 2 inches long)
- I have not seen him eating during these two weeks, but i think that something will have eaten...
- It doesn't swim to the surface, usually is laying by a side at QT tank.

I attach a video. At second 4-5 you can a appreciate the long hair poo:

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit with more info:
- It's been on my tank more than 3 months.
- Know, it's breathing so quick, like 200 breaths/min.
Thanks in advance again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white feces is likely mucus from the fish's intestines (since it hasn't eaten in two weeks). The bloating is a bad sign - it indicates either a mechanical obstruction or possibly ascites from kidney failure. The rapid breathing indicates that the issue has become systemic, and is involving all of the fish's organs. Is the ammonia level in the tank low/zero?

You've already treated for the common causes of this issue. The only other long shot I can suggest is dosing the treatment tank with Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) which may have some benefit for treating internal bacterial disease.

Jay

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your answer. Let see what we can do...

First of all, i will change 70% of water of QT to prevent ammonia and then start with some erythromycin. How about using amoxicilin, could work? I already have it... if no, i will try to get some erytromicyn.

Thanks¡

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I test ammonia in Q. Tank and it was above 0 almost 0.5ppm (tested with seachem alert). So i decided to change all water, clean everything well, reintroduced again the fish with a little aclimatation before and wait until tomorrow before giving antibiotics or other medication.

My bad not having placed the ammonia alert early before. Let see if without doing anything, just by keeping quality in the water, fresh air and skimmer, the fish improves and start eating...

I will update.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your answer/tips.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any source for beneficial bacteria? Rock from an established tank, bacteria starter culture, anything like that? Changing the water reduces ammonia, but without the good bacteria, it just builds back up again in a day or so.
Jay

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have. The water is from the main tank but I will put some little rocks from the sump inside the hanging skimmer, and control that ammonia.

Thanks¡

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
  • Well, today he woke up a little bit better with less breathing rytm, now seems that he can swim something but still not hungry.
  • I appreciate some more mucus like Jay said upper in the post.
  • Amonnio is now controlled at the QT and I have not yet proceeded to start a new treatment to him.
I will let him today without any medication, just alone having some rest, but i need some help with the possible start of treatment.

As @Jay Hemdal already told me, the only other long shot could be treat him with Maracyn 1 (erythromicyn) but here in Spain is not accessible, buying antibiotics is not easy because it has to be prescribed by a doctor (i could try buying directly erythromicyn if a talk to a vet before). I already have Metronizadol (that didnt work) and Amoxicillin, but i'm afraid that Amoxicillin could be harmful for him, besides that i do not know what the dose should be. How about giving some epson salt?

I share some pictures and video:

2020-10-21_13-56-58.png
20201021_134211.jpg
20201021_134209.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts are useless in marine aquariums, as magnesium sulfate is already the 4th most common salt in the mix.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
  • Well, today he woke up a little bit better with less breathing rytm, now seems that he can swim something but still not hungry.
  • I appreciate some more mucus like Jay said upper in the post.
  • Amonnio is now controlled at the QT and I have not yet proceeded to start a new treatment to him.
I will let him today without any medication, just alone having some rest, but i need some help with the possible start of treatment.

As @Jay Hemdal already told me, the only other long shot could be treat him with Maracyn 1 (erythromicyn) but here in Spain is not accessible, buying antibiotics is not easy because it has to be prescribed by a doctor (i could try buying directly erythromicyn if a talk to a vet before). I already have Metronizadol (that didnt work) and Amoxicillin, but i'm afraid that Amoxicillin could be harmful for him, besides that i do not know what the dose should be. How about giving some epson salt?

I share some pictures and video:

2020-10-21_13-56-58.png
20201021_134211.jpg
20201021_134209.jpg
I cannot find a dose for amoxicillin in water, only injectable or in food.
Jay

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It make sense what you say about Epson salt ... thanks a lot Jay.

It seems that the little one is getting better hour by hour since I corrected water quality, let see tomorrow if he can eat something. Makes me think that i made it really bad, over-medicating, not controlling Amonnia at QT. Sometimes we act like the worst virus ;Sorry

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back