Growth/Parasite/Horn on Ocellaris Clownfish?!

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went downstairs to feed my saltwater tank which consists of nothing but two ocellaris clownfish (roughly 1.5 years of age) and two corals.
I noticed a white “horn” like growth on the side of my female clown. This was not there days prior and it seemed to appear out of no where. I have no clue what this is… but it doesn’t look pretty. “Growth” seems to be fleshy. No change in the fish’s behaviour either, acting completely normal, eating fine.
There has been no new specimens added to this tank in over a year so for this to appear out of no where is concerning and a little bit odd…

Any help? Thanks.

(Best photos I could get, small clowns aren’t easy to capture a great photo…)

IMG_1989.jpeg IMG_1992.jpeg IMG_1994.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went downstairs to feed my saltwater tank which consists of nothing but two ocellaris clownfish (roughly 1.5 years of age) and two corals.
I noticed a white “horn” like growth on the side of my female clown. This was not there days prior and it seemed to appear out of no where. I have no clue what this is… but it doesn’t look pretty. “Growth” seems to be fleshy. No change in the fish’s behaviour either, acting completely normal, eating fine.
There has been no new specimens added to this tank in over a year so for this to appear out of no where is concerning and a little bit odd…

Any help? Thanks.

(Best photos I could get, small clowns aren’t easy to capture a great photo…)

IMG_1989.jpeg IMG_1992.jpeg IMG_1994.jpeg
Fish are a little distant in the pics but appears to be something that punctured and attached to the skin opposed to scales but can also stem from an injury. What would poke the fish- Can be from frozen food, urchin spine, or similar object. You may consider trying to touch to see if soft or firm to better determine what it may be
Is fish eating and breathing normal?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back