Are Darwin clowns really ocellaris

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can keep and pair black and orange clownfish and all their morphs together but I noticed ORA says in their description

“Scientists have considered describing the Black Ocellaris as a new species, but for now they are still considered a variation of the A. ocellaris species.”

Now I have no clue when they made this description and where this stands today, not much info I could find out there on this.

So what are your thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can keep and pair black and orange clownfish and all their morphs together but I noticed ORA says in their description

“Scientists have considered describing the Black Ocellaris as a new species, but for now they are still considered a variation of the A. ocellaris species.”

Now I have no clue when they made this description and where this stands today, not much info I could find out there on this.

So what are your thoughts?

I've not heard that the Darwin ocellaris have been split by taxonomists (yet). They readily mate with orange ocellaris, and may do so in parts of their native range, so are likely just a regional color variation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back