Are Darwin clowns really ocellaris

softiesplease

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Messages
395
Reaction score
184
Location
Port St Lucie FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know you can keep and pair black and orange clownfish and all their morphs together but I noticed ORA says in their description

“Scientists have considered describing the Black Ocellaris as a new species, but for now they are still considered a variation of the A. ocellaris species.”

Now I have no clue when they made this description and where this stands today, not much info I could find out there on this.

So what are your thoughts?
 
I know you can keep and pair black and orange clownfish and all their morphs together but I noticed ORA says in their description

“Scientists have considered describing the Black Ocellaris as a new species, but for now they are still considered a variation of the A. ocellaris species.”

Now I have no clue when they made this description and where this stands today, not much info I could find out there on this.

So what are your thoughts?

I've not heard that the Darwin ocellaris have been split by taxonomists (yet). They readily mate with orange ocellaris, and may do so in parts of their native range, so are likely just a regional color variation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new