Help with tank sickness ID

wazupjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help with tang sickness ID

Never had any issues with this tang. Yesterday he was just fine eating, looked great as always. This morning he looked fine, but this afternoon he is not. Didn't eat, is sluggish and has weird markings on him. They look like just dark blemishes.
All perams check out fine. 1.025, 1.0 nitrates, 0 nitrites ammonia and phos. 78.2 degrees.
Please help, all other fish are fine and eating. No other tangs or aggressive fish.
tang.jpg

Last edited:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man its hard to say. I dont think I have seen that. So a bump so maybe someone else will be able to give you a hand. Tangs are prone to many things for sure. good luck.

OP
OP
wazupjames

wazupjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of it and a list of all the other fish in the tank?

That was the best shot of it I could get. It was just blackish blemish on both sides of the tang. It unfortunately died about 30 minutes after I took the photo. I have never heard of a fish dying so quickly with no beginning symptoms really. I saw that blemish, immediately took a photo and 30 minutes later it was dead. 3 hours earlier it was happy as can be just fine.

Flame Wrasse
Lubbock Wrasse
2 Snowflake Clowns
Firefish
Mandarin Goby
Leopard Wrasse

Really ticks me off that I didn't even have time to try and ID the illness and try to medicate for it.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I didn't see the pic in the first post. I've never seen anything like that before.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have gotten stung by a nem or something?
Sorry about losing the tang.
The blotches could possibly be stress. My Hippo gets yellow blotches sometimes when he's stressed like when the lights come on. Then it goes away later on. Ive had other hippos over the years and this is the only one I ever saw do that. Ive had this one for 5 years or more.

Ive had saltwater fish over 30 years and I only had that happen once where a fish was fine 1 day and died the next.
Mine was a purple tang I had for around 1 1/2 years. I did a water change (the same way I always did) and it was dead the next day. I had other tangs and fish at the time that were all fine just like you. Mine didnt have any marks on it that I know of.

kass

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back