Help with this spot

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just turned my whites way up on the tank and noticed this circular white patch on my Tomini tang. I’ve had her for over a year and a half. Any thoughts on what this could be? All fish are eating well and active including the tomini . It’s really apparent when the tank isn’t so blue
IMG_1563.jpeg

Last edited:

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just turned my whites way up on the tank and notice this circular white patch on my Tomini tang. I’ve had her for over a year and a half. Any thoughts on what this could be? All fish are eating well and active including this fish. It jumped out at me when I turned my whites way up on my lighting. It really jumps out.
IMG_1563.jpeg
Could be he rubbed up against your rockwork. My fish do that occasionally and I’ll see marks like that.

OP
OP
R

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be he rubbed up against your rockwork. My fish do that occasionally and I’ll see marks like that.
Thanks for that. I can’t think of what else it might be. I was a little freaked out because I added some emerald crabs a few weeks ago. Aside from that I haven’t mead any changes in a long time.

OP
OP
R

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lawnmower blenny they will put a kiss mark on the tangs similar to that all the time when they get aggressive about food territory.
This is it!! Not a lawnmower but a Starry blenny. These two often mix it up but it’s usually the tang being the aggressor. I actually had this thought because it’s the same size as the marks the blenny puts on the glass if it’s not clean. I quickly dismissed it thinking I’ve never seen the blenny go after the tang and not realizing it was actually possible. I couldn’t figure out how it was such a perfect looking circle LOL! Thank you! This is a big relief!!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np. Yeah I have had the lawn mowers and starry blennies put kiss marks on my tangs for years. Have only seen it in action once, but always see the damage. Lol.

Yeah it's nothing to worry about. You will see them now and then as they work things out. It will heal up in a couple days

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree about the blenny . My one does it to my foxface and my hand every time I put it in the tank . I've got rid of it now tho

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back