Help with Tunze Osmolator and Red Sea 525XL

Noobreefer2018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dilemma is this...

When using the Red Sea ATO reservoir that sits higher than the sump, the water does not stop flowing into the sump when the Tunze motor stops. What do I need to buy to stop the flow of water due to gravity?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The resevoir should ideally be lower then the sump if not using the gravity feed setup. You could take a length of say 1/2" tubing and zip tie to the return pipe/tube then insert the outlet tubing from the tunze into that so the ATO outlet is higher than the resevoir creating a siphon break.

Not sure Im explaining that the best way possible but search for siphon break ATO on google and Im sure you'll get some images.

@pelphrey may have some to share as well..

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow box and arrow are where I had my ATO feeding the sump, this created a mini siphon for me. I went back to the setup I had prior to my new sump. I now have my tunze ATO pumping water into the red box and arrow, the output from the tunze is fed into 1/2" soft tubing. This breaks the siphon and has worked for years on my tank!

sump.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back