OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats really cool! I love puffers. I've heard that stresses them out when they puff up tho
It might stress them if you do it a lot, but I've only done it a couple of times. He is not a stressed fish, trust me...lol...He isn't afraid of anything.

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't saying he was stressed, the act of puffing up is a defense mechanism. If he feels threatened that's what he does. I have an anthron dogface and would never try to make him puff up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't saying he was stressed, the act of puffing up is a defense mechanism. If he feels threatened that's what he does. I have an anthron dogface and would never try to make him puff up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app
Yeah, its a defense mechanism, to make them look bigger than they really are. I wasn't trying to make him puff up... I had the mirror around my anemones trying to coax my clowns to them and he just happened to pass by. But it surely made me laugh!

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is in a mixed reef as well- doesnt bother my snails or shrimp or coral- until i added a red monti cap and a green monti cap. in the matter of one night he devoured the red one and not the green. other than that he hasnt bothered a thing. eats like a piggy too.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had to re-home my Valentini. I really hated to do it too, because he was a great fish, with a great personality, but he was eating my SPS and devoured a clam too. I knew I was taking a risk when I got him; can't blame him though...he was just doing what puffers do. He lives in a FOWLR now and is just as happy.
mine is in a mixed reef as well- doesnt bother my snails or shrimp or coral- until i added a red monti cap and a green monti cap. in the matter of one night he devoured the red one and not the green. other than that he hasnt bothered a thing. eats like a piggy too.

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the general consensus with these guys is that theyre a hit or miss fish as far as being reef safe. my tank is primarily LPS and softies. the montis were the only 2 SPS ive ever had and for some reason he really liked the red one. glad it wasnt the green (phew) but i dont blame him, nor do i really care. they were cheap frags and i gave it a shot. i love my little puff so anything he eats in my tank is MY fault and not his. however if he ever did wreak complete havoc i would definitely move him to my 20 FOWLR....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back