Help with water levels in the sump

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just increased the height of the sump by an inch because of the rise in the baffles height. I am going to try to calculate the volume of water in the overflow plus water in the pipes.

Edit. Aproximately 10 litres (2.64 gallons), 5 from the overflow and 5 in the pipes. I think it's fine.
Remember the water level will drain to the level of your return nozzles. I made this mistake once, had em pointed down. Luckily I turned off the pump, not power outage. Before I had to turn my valve off I had filled up my sump and 5 gallons of water on my wood floors.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use the Herbie setup, so the main drain (yellow) will be 6 inches below water level. Only 6 inches of the overflow area will drain when the return pump stops, it's a small volume of water.

The red is the emergency drain, the blue is the return and the green is for the electrical cables for the 3 lighting fixtures and 1 circulation pump.

received_754077248270887.png

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point MC is trying to make is to calculate the water that will drain thru your return line before you break siphon on it when the power is off. mine is between 1/4 and 1/2" out of my DT.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I didn't get that, thanks.

My overflow is not that wide, so I am pointing to the max you suggested: 0.5".

That's an extra 15 litres. It will overflow.

I have to get the skimmer back on the bottom glass and lower the baffles on the skimmer and return pump sections to accomodate the amount of water that will come from the pipes, overflow and that 1/2" of water from the tank.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I turn on my pump the rises
You will have to put a Ball Valve to the left of the manifold and return pump to adjust the flow going to the tank
+1 to above. The valve to the left restricts the flow going to the DT, forcing flow to your manifold.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why there's a need to control the flow to the main tank. The pump has a controller to adjust or programme the flow. Is there any reason to restrict the flow to the tank?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why there's a need to control the flow to the main tank. The pump has a controller to adjust or programme the flow. Is there any reason to restrict the flow to the tank?
The physics of flow dynamics. If you don't restrict the flow to the DT you will have uncontrolled flow to your manifold. Water will take the path of least resistance. If your trying to push water through a constrictor like a media reactor, you will get little to no flow through reactor.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got it, thks once again!

I was just counting on gravity and it's enough for the refugium for example, but not for reactors.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are actually a few Reasons..
1. You want to be sure to never over run your Weir and flood your tank.
2. You cant really adjust a Pump with a Controller running a Manifold .DC Controllable pumps loose ability to pump water as they get Dirty. A clean pump will push more water , Meaning you will have to adjust your Output manifold settings , Tinker with the controller .. Its best to Set the pump to run at a higher flow rate and Throttle it back with Valves.
I have changed and Rebuilt my Manifold and pump plumbing more times then i care to admit to find that perfect solution. My Solution Giant External pump and Dial it back with Valves and re circulation.
New Sump running first time  (5).jpg

My 150 gallon Sump Ran by reeflo hammerhead

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back