Help with Wattage????????????

mex71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's probably a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it.
I have a 4x2x2 auqrium which is a 120 gal.
I have a canopy which is approx. a 1' from the top of the aquarium to the bottom of the canopy.
My question is how much wattage do I need to grow soft coral as well as sps coral. I don't want to "fry" them from heat.
Also, could you please recommend a link or setup that will work that has metal halides as well as t5's. Hope I'm not asking to much.
I've seen everything from $300 to $1500 and of course like every one I would like to get the most bang for my buck.
Thanks in Advance
mex71
mex71 Plankton Posts: 6 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get two nice 250w mh reflectors and be done with it. I think your best off with a 2x250w mh setup on that tank. You could always do a 6-8 bulb t5 retro or fixture as well. Look at the lumen arc, lumen max, lumen elite reflectors. All work very well.

Mochis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If you are going to build it yourself you should check out nanotuners.com and nanocustoms.com I have put halide on half of the tank and t-5 on the whole tank before it was a little cheaper and worked great.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wattage per gallon rule is not efficant at all and should be deleted from all posts..lol
like mentioned two 250 w mh would be the ticket for that tank...... i run 2 on a 60long with lumenarc reflectors and to the eye it looks perfect no hot spots or dark spots... i also run 2 60" vho actinics.....

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x 250 would look nice. lumenbrite reflectors, i hear, give the highest return.
you could use higher kelvin lamps if you wanted to tone down the power some.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2X250 would be fine, again like others said....watts per gallon....not the right way to go...

experince and if anything error in more light.

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seem like your canopy is alittle to shallow for lumenbrights. Have you thought about 250w DEs? They fixtures are lower profile and work really well.

I would recommend just getting a SLS retro fix kit 2x 54w T5s for supplements and 2x SLS LumenMax 3 DE Reflectors with your choice of bulbs and ballast.

88K5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to first make the decision which route you will be going. MH's or T-5's.

If you decide to go MH's I do like the idea of two 250 watt lamps with luminarc reflectors. You should also have room to add a VHO or T-5 to supplement for dusk or dawn lighting.

If you went the T-5 route you will either have to decide retro kit or fixture. I would choose an 8 bulb fixture.

Do not compare watts between the T-5 and MH's. I used to run 2400 watts of MH/VHO on a 400 gallon now I have less than 900 watts of T-5's on the same tank.

Tank102a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teklight makes a good 8 bulb t5 fixture. I think reefgeek sells them cheapest (since the include the bulbs) I'm not sure if the still have the deal but when I bought mine two years ago they still offered the deal.

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking for an all in one package the marineland 24 hour lighting system isn't too bad (for convenience sake) but i would recommend swapping the bulbs around for something better than "stock"

Hawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the one question that has not been asked yet is whether or not you are going to be using a chiller on this system. Being that you have only one foot of clearance you will have a good amount of heat transfer to the water surface. IMO if you weren’t going to chill the system I would use T5’s and a unit that is fan cooled. Seriously rethink not using a chiller if that’s what you had in mind SPS want there temp constant. The one thing that I have found is having the combination of T5’s and MH gives great color to my SPS.
Links for some combo lighting:
Sunlight Supply®, Inc. Lighting&type=product
Deluxe Metal Halide with T5 HO Aquarium supplies & Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Hawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the one question that has not been asked yet is whether or not you are going to be using a chiller on this system. Being that you have only one foot of clearance you will have a good amount of heat transfer to the water surface. IMO if you weren’t going to chill the system I would use T5’s and a unit that is fan cooled. Seriously rethink not using a chiller if that’s what you had in mind SPS want there temp constant. The one thing that I have found is having the combination of T5’s and MH gives great color to my SPS.
Links for some combo lighting:
Sunlight Supply®, Inc. Lighting&type=product
Deluxe Metal Halide with T5 HO Aquarium supplies & Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Back