Help with With Water

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back in the reef hobby after a 5-year break. I am starting up an IM Nuvo 20. I have been started my tank cycle about two and a half weeks ago. I am using Dr. Tim's One and Only. I got to the point where Dr. Tims said I needed to do a water change and could add fish. I did not do the water change or add fish as we left for a family vacation. I am back now and tested my water and had an 8pH, 2p Ammonia, 5 Nitrite, and 10 Nitrate. I did a 20% water change yesterday and another 20% water change today. After both water changes, I waited an hour before testing. I have not been able to lower my ammonia or nitrites. I did lower my pH to 7.8 (not the result I am after) and my nitrates to 5. Should I do another 20% water change? I am using the API test kits. Nothing is expired. I have no livestock or coral in the tank at this time.
As a note, during the Dr. Tims cycling, I watched my ammonia go up as high as 8 after adding the ammonia chloride and drop back down a day or two later. The cycle seemed to be going correctly according to the directions.
I am open to any suggestions or recommendations.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want your ammonia down to 0 before adding any fish. I would wait a few more days before doing any additional water changes (keep testing in the interim).

OP
OP
K

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want your ammonia down to 0 before adding any fish. I would wait a few more days before doing any additional water changes (keep testing in the interim).
Thanks. I gave it a couples days did a water change and all worked out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back