Help working on inventory for Red Sea Reefer 425

19frank90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from Biocube 29 to Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. I'm preparing an inventory and, eventually, a budget that I hope my wife never sees. What else am I missing and any suggestions on brands? I had previously asked about the Current Loop bundle but it doesn't seem favored. Anyone have experience with the Red Sea LEDs?

• Return pump
• Lights
• Wavemakers
• Protein Skimmer
• Rock and Sand (~90lb each? Display capacity is 88 gallons)
• Seachem Matrix for the sump? I've used it in the back of my Biocube and I've seen some people's Reefer setups with rubble rock in the sump. Figured it would be similar.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would consider finding an alternative solution for the ATO. the little tiny ATO emptied every 2 days for me and its really inconvenient to fill everyday.

I got a custom ATO from Octoaquatics and put it on the right side of the cabinet with a tunze ATO.
136bfdd1-a930-439a-908d-84f72d12f5e6-jpeg.1296378

I also totally gutted the baffles in the sump to do triton (large refuge section)

Good luck! Reef LEDs seem to be highly reviewed, personally im running hydra 26s and theyre not bad

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought on powerheads. I started with 2 Reef Octopus powerheads on my 425 and thought they offered pretty good flow. I recently pulled them out and put in one Maxspect Gyre 350 and love that pump a lot. Great flow and gyre effect.

Like ReefLab, I use the Tunze 3155 ATO and there's room on the right side of the cabinet for a 5 gallon reservoir . If you had lots of equipment it may limit that room but it works for me. I have 3 red sea tanks and haven't used any of the included ATO tanks or the RS gravity feed ATO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back