Help! Zoas under attack!!

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beautiful Zoas have been attacked. What to do?
IMG_2381.jpeg

OP
OP
cherith

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don’t look like zoanthids. Zoas have lashes and don’t have a skeletal structure

That looks like blastos or a favia that are deteriorating from starvation or parameters
Oh. So it’s great to know what they really are! What do they eat? I include brine shrimp and fish eggs 3x week. I dose with a copepod mix after water changes, and feed phytoplankton 3x week. I feed “dry coral food” mixed with RO, and sprinkle a little Thera+A for the clown fish and bottom feeder food for the crabs 3x week. I dose Reef Fusion 2 and “Fuel” per instructions. I try to cover enough to make up for what I don’t know (which is a whole lot).

My ammonia is zero and salinity right on target. Haven’t measured the other stuff in a while.

What am I missing? Good to know the names now so I can look up appropriate care. Thank you so much for responding.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is zero and salinity right on target. Haven’t measured the other stuff in a while.

What am I missing? Good to know the names now so I can look up appropriate care. Thank you so much for responding.

Post your chemistry numbers. I'd be willing to bet you are looking at low Alkalinity and Calcium.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they eat? I include brine shrimp and fish eggs 3x week. I dose with a copepod mix after water changes, and feed phytoplankton 3x week. I feed “dry coral food” mixed with RO, and sprinkle a little Thera+A for the clown fish and bottom feeder food for the crabs 3x week. I dose Reef Fusion 2 and “Fuel” per instructions. I try to cover enough to make up for what I don’t know (which is a whole lot).
So, unless you're sticking it right on the favia while the feeders are out, they aren't getting anything out of the large solid foods. The rest - actually, you should go test nitrate. Because you're feeding a lot. I'd bet it's way up based on that and the fact that the ones in your picture that actually are zoanthids are looking great.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. So it’s great to know what they really are! What do they eat? I include brine shrimp and fish eggs 3x week. I dose with a copepod mix after water changes, and feed phytoplankton 3x week. I feed “dry coral food” mixed with RO, and sprinkle a little Thera+A for the clown fish and bottom feeder food for the crabs 3x week. I dose Reef Fusion 2 and “Fuel” per instructions. I try to cover enough to make up for what I don’t know (which is a whole lot).

Ok so the other ones in your tank are zoanthids. This looks more like favia. At night time, after lights go out, check with a flashlight for clear feeding tentacles. They should come out after the tank is in complete darkness. Give them pellet food, or mysis, or even some flake food. It should grab the food and retract. If the tentacles aren’t out, it’s not getting any food.

Here are my acans, which have a similar feeding method. To show what the feeding tentacle look like (zoom in you will see them, they are clear)

0B47021C-5BD5-4189-9ED5-41DDF704512C.jpeg CECA5422-3C56-40B0-B6E2-7C010FE64A40.jpeg

OP
OP
cherith

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the other ones in your tank are zoanthids. This looks more like favia. At night time, after lights go out, check with a flashlight for clear feeding tentacles. They should come out after the tank is in complete darkness. Give them pellet food, or mysis, or even some flake food. It should grab the food and retract. If the tentacles aren’t out, it’s not getting any food.

Here are my acans, which have a similar feeding method. To show what the feeding tentacle look like (zoom in you will see them, they are clear)

0B47021C-5BD5-4189-9ED5-41DDF704512C.jpeg CECA5422-3C56-40B0-B6E2-7C010FE64A40.jpeg
Yeah. I’ve never, ever, seen any feeding tentacles from those guys. Starvation must be the issue. I’ve had issues with others accepting my meaty meals. True. If they don’t respond, the stuff just floats away. And yes, I’ve worried about the huge amount I feed and I have been shocked that the ammonia levels stay 0-to-goid. This tank is about 6 months old—and I’ve had significant attrition with my corals. I can’t keep a leather coral alive to save my soul. I’ve lost several frags of green polyps—and my carpet anemone just shriveled up and disappeared into the rocks—he did eat some though. He would curl up on it, so I was surprised he didn’t make it.

I’ll do the chemicals as soon as I get home.

Please, what’s this green thing
IMG_2341.jpeg
?

IMG_2332.jpeg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria are very good at consuming ammonia. Nitrate is of more concern once the bio filter is in place.

My advice, if you want to stop losing coral, is to stop buying things that you don't know what are. Even 'hardy' corals like GSP are very delicate compared to things that aren't coral. Enjoy the pieces you've got that are doing well and let the tank mature for another 6 months to a year.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back