View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they do that
20240309_183155.jpg
5 minutes later...
20240309_182707.jpg
are they attacking? If he's trying to steal a shell then why a small one WITH A LIVE HERMIT IN IT?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they do that ...
...are they attacking?
They are opportunistic omnivores. It is in their nature, the smaller hermit is a meal, or had a meal that it wanted. Or it just decided it didn't like it and killing it may be fun or useful.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also mistyped, they are omnivores.

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they do that
20240309_183155.jpg
5 minutes later...
20240309_182707.jpg
are they attacking? If he's trying to steal a shell then why a small one WITH A LIVE HERMIT IN IT?
Mine do this all the time but never kill/ hurt each other so I just ignore it

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean like I thought that only same size hermit crabs attacked themselves for shells, not food, do they eat pellets or algae too? I kind of forgot what they can eat
Most hermit crabs will eat just about anything, some are more aggressive than others, especially when hungry. They can be territorial and aggressive in some circumstances. Each specifies will be different, but so will each crab.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually nevermind nothing is happening I just don't know how to delete this message
I would make sure you have some extra shells in the tank for them to check out and make sure they’re well fed.
I know he’s a lot bigger than the other hermit crab but he could be hungry or looking for a potential new home.
Mine are always moving into new shells and then moving back. I’ve even seen them move into smaller shells than the one they’re currently in.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you have some extra shells in the tank for them to check out and make sure they’re well fed.
I know he’s a lot bigger than the other hermit crab but he could be hungry or looking for a potential new home.
Mine are always moving into new shells and then moving back. I’ve even seen them move into smaller shells than the one they’re currently in.
Yup, I have a lot of shells in my tank, I gave them food now, the new ones started eating, about the shells, they just go inside and just test every shell for no reason but they never changed..

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have a lot of shells in my tank, I gave them food now, the new ones started eating, about the shells, they just go inside and just test every shell for no reason but they never changed..
Yeah they do that a lot, it’s like shopping around for a new house/apartment lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back