Help

Martypello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought 3 corals two had aptaisia and this is the 3rd ? Could any one tell me what I need to do are if I can even do anything finding out extremely quickly that local frag dealers are not the same quality as buying on line my lesson has been learnt but I would love to try heal this coral

IMG-20231106-WA0000.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s most likely brown jelly disease. 99% gonna die. The kfc dip may work but by the time you get probably dead. I suggest getting it out without letting that slime go all over the tank it could take the rest out.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have recently bought 3 corals two had aptaisia and this is the 3rd ? Could any one tell me what I need to do are if I can even do anything finding out extremely quickly that local frag dealers are not the same quality as buying on line my lesson has been learnt but I would love to try heal this coral

Unfortunately it can be hit or miss online too, but you’ll end up finding your favorite vendors (Luckily the a lot of the popular venders on R2R are good about qt)
I haven’t had much luck saving euphyllia that are 3/4 dead like that one, even with antibiotic dips.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see aiptasia in that picture. Aiptasia looks like this:
1699275964896.png

I think I'm looking at brown jelly disease. It's been my experience that aquacultured corals do better in my tanks. It makes sense. If it came from a tank and thrived well enough that somebody is making a business out of growing it and selling it, that coral probably adapts to tank life well.

If I came from the ocean it's anybody's guess how it will do in my tank.

It's too late now but the move was probably to KFC dip it at the first sign of trouble: https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia

OP
OP
Martypello

Martypello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aptisia was on my zoa frag and my star polyps I wasn't able to put them in tank as I seen them on dipping unfortunately I didn't no about this disease and am gutted its just so annoying that out of 4 corals 3 died I need to find a trust worth coral supplier and this is killing me also I need a quaterteen tank as this has taught me alot don't no how you all do it its bloody so hard but honestly thank you so much for your help nice to no there is nice people out there n too the people that are makeing money selling diseases need to seriously re think there career its not fair on the little man

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aptisia was on my zoa frag and my star polyps I wasn't able to put them in tank as I seen them on dipping unfortunately I didn't no about this disease and am gutted its just so annoying that out of 4 corals 3 died I need to find a trust worth coral supplier and this is killing me also I need a quaterteen tank as this has taught me alot don't no how you all do it its bloody so hard but honestly thank you so much for your help nice to no there is nice people out there n too the people that are makeing money selling diseases need to seriously re think there career its not fair on the little man

Search the market place here for your area. I’ve had the best luck with getting corals from fellow reefers from here.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Did you throw away the zoa and star polyps and what did you use for dip? For things that come with aiptasia, I can usually cut/chop away the part that the aiptasia is attached to and glue over any non fleshy parts of the coral. The truth is your gonna get pests on frags, as much as we try to buy from dealers that qt, sometimes we see frag and can't help but buy it lol. So its important to read around the forum and come up with a solid dip and qt procedure that you use no matter who you buy your corals from. Others take the route of living with the pests and just try to balance them out with predators, but it up to you witch route you take.

Its also important to keep inmind that not all corals will make it through a stringent procedure, sometimes they arnt healthy enough and sometimes they are just too sensitive.
We all lose corals even those with years of experience, its just part of having a reef tank. I just got a shipment and one of the frags doesn't look like its gonna make it, but its just part of life and I just plan on reordering it in the future.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back