Help>>>>>>

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am relatively new to keeping Zoos. I have a 10 gal. quaranteen tank set up to keep frags in that I have ordered online.

I have had about 4 frags die in the last 2 weeks and it looks like I have a couple more that are sick now. They start with a polyp or two that don't open, then they turn white looking. After a day or two, the whiteness starts to spread and the whole frag turns white and a little fuzzy/slimy. That's when I am assuming they are dead. I took one out of the tank after it had turned all white, and it stunk bad.

The tank is 10 gal.
The light is a dual T5 (one 10K one actinic)
The temp is 80
The amonia is 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates .03
Sg .024-.025
PH 8.4

The frags are on egg crate racks. The amount of light or flow doesn't seem to matter.

PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to lose any more and I have invested some cash in a 40 gal. breeder that I plan to raise even more frags in (if I can get the hang of keeping them alive)

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, I noticed you used it as a QT tank before. Did you ever use andy copper products for the fish

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they all from the same distributors? maybe the problem lies in the provider as well.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the white fungus I've lost some morphs to. The only treatment that I know is doing a 50%tank water:hydrogen peroxide dip or an iodine dip. I've heard people have better success treating these fungus problems with the hydrogen peroxide treatment though. I would also do a large water change and add carbon to help clean the water. I really hope this helps and keep us posted.

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the white fungus I've lost some morphs to. The only treatment that I know is doing a 50%tank water:hydrogen peroxide dip or an iodine dip. I've heard people have better success treating these fungus problems with the hydrogen peroxide treatment though. I would also do a large water change and add carbon to help clean the water. I really hope this helps and keep us posted.

That sounds like it may be it. Do you know where I can find any pics or more info on the fungus? It may not be a fungus though. I said earlier that they get fuzzy, that is not really a good description.

They just seem to turn to white slime and melt away. They leave a white color on the rock when they are gone. I will try to get some pics.

Can you give me any more info on the peroxide dip?

Thanks a bunch everyone!!! Keep the ideas coming.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like posting threads from another website but here was one thread I found that mentions the hydrogen peroxide treatment as well as a tetracycline treatment. There are some pictures (some more representative than others IMHO) of what this fungus looks like. Hope this helps!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=434256&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

That's definitely it ecotox.

Thanks for the link. I will go out and get tetracycline tomorrow.

I have only gotten frags from 3 suppliers. I checked to see which ones started this whole epidemic. I wont name names, but it happens to be coming from and mostly infecting a group of frags that I got from a supplier that I met here that sends a list to you every couple of weeks and the frags are only $10.00 each. So be careful!!

Thanks again for the help. I will let you all know how the tetracycline works.

Thanks,
Steve

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope they pull through. I know how devastating it is to lose a colony to this infection :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back