Help

silentK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! New to reefing and saltwater husbandry, long time freshwater enthusiast. I recently set up my first salt tank at home after learning from taking care of larger systems where I work.
When I purchased the rock, I brought it right home and dipped all 4 pieces in fresh RO water for 1 minute to not sacrifice good BB but hopefully kill anything coming along in the rocks. I then shook them around in the bucket to knock any dead hitchhikers off before putting in my tank.

My issue is I just got home from work and turned the light on to find a large number of bristleworms that must have weathered the freshwater dip and are now showing themselves.. a few on the rocks and quite a few in the substrate. What is my best plan of action before actually stocking livestock?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love these guys, even in the wild they will crawl on your hand if you put it out while diving. Havent tried them in a reef tank because of people reporting that they can kill small fish but I might put one into a frag tank im building
I hear that too but I had them with fish at LFS and in 2 different tanks and bothered nothing.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! New to reefing and saltwater husbandry, long time freshwater enthusiast. I recently set up my first salt tank at home after learning from taking care of larger systems where I work.
When I purchased the rock, I brought it right home and dipped all 4 pieces in fresh RO water for 1 minute to not sacrifice good BB but hopefully kill anything coming along in the rocks. I then shook them around in the bucket to knock any dead hitchhikers off before putting in my tank.

My issue is I just got home from work and turned the light on to find a large number of bristleworms that must have weathered the freshwater dip and are now showing themselves.. a few on the rocks and quite a few in the substrate. What is my best plan of action before actually stocking livestock?
Bristle worms are great detritus eaters. I'd leave them alone.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that too but I had them with fish at LFS and in 2 different tanks and bothered nothing.

I really need to try it in the small tenecor 3 gallon frag, maybe if i try one in a 3 gallon with a goby I could report back to let people know if it is just a myth. They are much more pleasant to have on your hand compared to cleaner shrimp. Cleaner shrimp pinch too much when they walk, these guys just feel like they are standing there

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean lol? By touch them is it a bad idea
Their bristles are super fragile. They break off when you touch them and end up in your hand. They can hurt when you touch them but much more if you grab them since you’d likely end up with more bristles than jus by touching them.

That said I have an average amount of bristle worms including a few 6 inchers. I have had much larger populations than I have now in past tanks. I’ve been fortunate enough to never get bristles in my hands. Hopefully that streak continues.

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these guys, even in the wild they will crawl on your hand if you put it out while diving. Havent tried them in a reef tank because of people reporting that they can kill small fish but I might put one into a frag tank im building
In all the different tanks I’ve had I’ve never had so much as a scooter blenny disappear. I don’t have as many now as I had in past tanks but I still have an average amount. I even have a couple 6 inch worms in this tank.

The scooter blenny was in a tank I had about 13 or so years ago which had some 10 inch worms in it. Unless you have the one bristle worm that’s on searoids and it reaches 15+ inches and it’s in a tank that’s practically starved I don’t think you have to be afraid.

If it’s a TRUE fire worm or a bobbit worm then that’s another story but you’ll know it. The real fire worms are probably the most beautiful worms that don’t live in tubes. They’re red with red and white bristles. Take a look at the differences between them. Once you see the real deal you’ll know right away whether you have one or not. Real bobbit worms are ambush predators. They live in the sand and have pincers they use to grab their prey. They are as thick as a no. 2 pencil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the different tanks I’ve had I’ve never had so much as a scooter blenny disappear. I don’t have as many now as I had in past tanks but I still have an average amount. I even have a couple 6 inch worms in this tank.
I was talking about arrow crabs, not bristleworms.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back