HerAnatomy's Biocube HQI 29g

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I have recently gotten back into this hobby. Prior, I had a seahorse dedicated tank and I started a saltwater 20 gallon long with some beginner coral. Life happens, and I got out of the hobby but now I'm back and would like to try my hand at some more intermediate coral!!

I haven't decided where I'm going yet with this tank, but I have begun the cycling process as of April 14th.

I started with some base dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply (a mixture of their Reef Saver Eco and Pukani), got a couple pieces of live rock from a LFS, and then order some beautiful live rock from Sea Life Inc (now called K&P aquatics). I absolutely LOVE their premium cultured live rock. It is covered in beautiful color and I got some great hitchhikers! I also live in Florida, so I did their priority shipping. I think since they are located more in the keys, and I'm in central Florida, it came in 2 days. There was some die-off. It was loaded with feather dusters and each day, I'm finding more things. Some macro algae is growing, as well as a tiny looking coral. I will have to wait until it gets bigger to ID it. It's awfully tiny right now. I highly recommend them! They had fantastic customer service and answered my random question emails during odd hours of the night! I also specified certain sizes, and they really followed through.

Enough of that, here are details:

Tank:
29 gallon BioCube HQI
Stock 150w MH
Chamber 1: AquaticLife Skimmer 115. Installed, but not running during cycle.
Chamber 2: inTank Media basket and Fuge basket (not yet installed, waiting for cycle to complete) (May install and add Chaeto soon) Once cycle is complete, I have filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite to place in the media basket.
Chamber 3: Stock pump

Filtration:
20 lbs of Arag-Alive live sand
Mixture of live and dry rock (probably 50/50 lb wise if not leaning towards the live vs dry) (Not sure of the lbs...over 20 lbs)

Accessories:
Hydor Theo 100w heater...currently not installed. Tank runs 79.2-80.0 without any assistance.
Reef Keeper Lite w/ temp probe.
NImble Nano
2 Koralia evolution 550 gph powerheads on alternate cycles, 30 seconds on/off each side.

Lights run from 12:30pm-9:30pm.

I also have a JBJ nano glo LED for the fuge once I decide to get Chaeto.

Tank pics:
IMG_2067.jpg

I put parchment paper on top to help the colors on the rock adjust to the MH

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

Right Side

IMG_2074.jpg

Left Side

IMG_2075.jpg

Cute little macro algae! ^-^

IMG_2078.jpg

Great colors on rock. Bottom rock on the top left center has the brown "coral" i'm waiting to grow so I can ID. It looks like it has "polyps".

IMG_2077.jpg

More color.

IMG_2072.jpg

Really bad pic of the "coral". It's so tiny, it's hard to get a picture! lol

Feedback/Suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks for looking :lol:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Welcome back!:hug: It's nice havin' some ladies around here!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great and welcome back!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start. I'm glad to see that you're taking it slow! Is it me, or does that top rock resemble an animal skull of some sort?

CJ

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start. I'm glad to see that you're taking it slow! Is it me, or does that top rock resemble an animal skull of some sort?

CJ

Now that you mention it, I see it!

Great, now everytime i look at my tank i'm gonna think "poor animal skull" lol. :squigglemouth:

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my tank has finally cycled. I go to Reef Cleaners to get some chaeto and a couple of snails (i'm taking it slow), and i put everything in the cart, fill out my info, select my shipping option and BAM, their site goes down for maintenance lol. So, back to "patiently" waiting for me :pout:

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like your "coral" could be a little scrap of toadstool leather growing out. That's what it looked like on my rock after i moved my toadstool.

That would be nice!!! But, unfortunately it's starting to look like the beginnings of GSP lol. We will see! I hope you're right lol.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back