New 20H tank

Boundava

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a 20H tank this weekend with the intentions of it being a bubble coral tank with some mushroom coral covering my live rocks.

The tank has a little over 6 lbs of live rock, approx. 3" sand bed mix of arag-alive fuji pink and some dry aragonite sand. Filter is Fluval 107 with a spray bar, and for additional movement I have a SICCE Voyager nano 1000. Light is a simple Nicrew 24 watt marine light. Also added a container of the FritzZyme turbostart to help with the cycle and a container of Tigger pods, though the live rock should also have pods as well as other bonus critters.

Also interested in some fish for the tank. Wanted a possum wrasse but won't have enough rock for it to feel secure. Was thinking possibly another small wrasse and a goby or two, maybe a small damselfish?

Open to any suggestions/recommendations.

Tank as of last night. The open area is going to be for the bubble corals as they prefer to be on the sandbed/substrate
IMG20240427173130 (1).jpg

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right track with gobies. Maybe a fire fish or pair of ocellaris.

Another thought is an interesting invert. Coral banded shrimp can be fun, but be careful with small fish. I’ve personally never had an issue with them, but other have.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right track with gobies. Maybe a fire fish or pair of ocellaris.

Another thought is an interesting invert. Coral banded shrimp can be fun, but be careful with small fish. I’ve personally never had an issue with them, but other have.
These are all very good suggestions for fish! Pretty similar to what I have in my tank haha

OP
OP
Boundava

Boundava

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Unfortunately something went wrong with the tank and I just broke it down and returned what I could. I did put three frags in there and they died overnight. Water smelled like cabbage though the parameters tested by dipstick said everything was good. Can only guess the bag of "alive" sand was no good ...though there was no off smell when I put it in the tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 47 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back