20g High Simple Nano Build

Boundava

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 20 High this weekend. My intention was to temporarily remove a Duncan in my (basic) 38 gallon that had been harassed by a clown. Unfortunately I was too late and the Duncan didn't make it.

Now I have a freshly set up tank and many ideas on what I could do with it, but unsure as to what the best options could be.

Currently the tank has:
  • ~11lb of live rock, 6lbs of Jakarta live rock and another 5lbs from a local fish store I added today
  • ~30lbs aragonite sand, `20 lbs dry and 10 lbs the "alive" variety
  • Fluval 107 with spray bar for mechanical filtration
  • SICCE Voyager 1000 circulation pump
  • Nicrew 100W marine light
The light will be replaced tomorrow with a VIPARSPECTRA 165W

I did add a bottle of Tigger pods and FritzZyme Turbostart to the tank on Saturday when I set it up. Have been adding phytoplankton and Purple-Up daily since then.

I am somewhat unsure what I should do next, I was initially thinking a few bubble corals on the substrate with some mushrooms on the live rock.
A Possum wrasse, a Hector or Jester goby, urchin, and some porcelain crabs for my livestock and a cleanup crew that included a strawberry conch or two (no hermits).

I am also thinking about just going with one bubble coral instead of 3-4. I have had a bubble coral before and it did very well. I have some mushrooms right now in my 38 and would like to put some in here as well but I was thinking of some acans and lobos in the substrate and some montipora, chalice or stylocoeiniella attached to individual magnetic frag rocks. I haven't had any experience with these corals so am unsure how well they will do but I will start with relatively inexpensive frags so am willing to take a chance.

I don't want to add anything prematurely and read somewhere to wait for coralline algae to grow before adding corals.

Do you think I can add corals to the tank now, or should I wait? Also any comments on my livestock choices?

Here is the tank today, its a little cloudy due to the Purple-Up.
IMG20240429182713.jpg

IMG20240429182732.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a few weeks with no lights to get stabilized then add some corals

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh, neat. Don't see tall tanks too often.

Personally, I think you are fine to add coral now. Coral won't care about any ammonia. That being said, tank may get dinos/cyano even with established rock and fritz, so I might not glue everything down quite yet. I'd start with some easy stuff.

You don't need to wait for coraline.

As for your coral selections:

Acans (I am thining you are referring to micromussa and not that 15" Acans) will be fine. Maybe raise them off the sandbed until you know you are safe from dinos/cyano.

Chalice is risky in a tank this small - they have massive sweepers.

Lobo will be fine but see above on Acans.

Stylo will be fine under that light.

Montis should be alright, just make sure you know the can take over a tank. The pretty encusters will cover your rock work in 2-3 months if they are happy and you keep your water stable. Maybe try red digitata, they are quite easy.

OP
OP
Boundava

Boundava

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice.

The Acans and/or Lobo would go on small rocks and sit on the substrate. I have a box of small rocks for that purpose.

Will nix the chalice.

Was going to start with a frag (or 2) of Montis and Stylo on a magnetic "rock", something like this:

Of course one frag per rock...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 114 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back