herbie drain set up

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to set up a Herbie drain system in my 80g tank. I have a built in overflow, that has 3 bulkheads.
I found this very informative website that explains what is needed and how it all works. (no problems there).

I see one bulkhead / drain pipe that has a strainer on it, goes directly down to the sump, which it passes through a valve to control flow.
the second bulkhead / drain line goes directly into sump as well, but with no valves / strainers.
since I have a third bulkhead / pipe, i do not know what to do with it, or where it's supposed to go.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, please post a photo which includes the overflow tower and weir teeth. The third bulkhead could either be for return line or the emergency line in a three drain Beananimal set up.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get pictures tomorrow, but the 3rd line is definitely intended for an emergency drain. I just wasn't sure how to tie that into a herbie set up

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a three down pipe setup, it's the bean animal design.

The third pipe is dry emergency drain.

You can also use the third port to route the return pipes through the overflow box.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to the Herbie, except there‘s one more layer of redundancy with the Beananimal. The first drin is the full siphon, which will have the gate valve for adjustment. The second drain will be the trickle line and the third drain will be the emergency open channel.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back