Herbie vs BeanAnimal overflow method?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for that sized tank, I would probably spend the extra money and get one of the ghost overflows from Synergy. Over the life of the system, I think it would be worth the extra money to be able to take it to the sink and clean it easily.

OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for that sized tank, I would probably spend the extra money and get one of the ghost overflows from Synergy. Over the life of the system, I think it would be worth the extra money to be able to take it to the sink and clean it easily.

i know. i love synergy overflow. but i really dont want to spend $200 in just the overflow.!
is the one from ebay that bad?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it isn't bad. It should work better than 90% of the other overflows out there! You are right. The price is compelling.

OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it isn't bad. It should work better than 90% of the other overflows out there! You are right. The price is compelling.

yea. im on a budget. and also i live in Costa Rica, so i have to pay an extra to get things down here.!
i dont want to go with a DIY version. im not good at that haha

thanks for all your help Taylor!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't good at DIY stuff once, but I think I can make a pretty good overflow box now! LOL But you are right. You won't get the router bits you need to build it, much less the acrylic for $100. Heck, retail on 5 bulkheads is almost $50!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speaking from my experiences --- An Herbie is easier to do on a Reef Ready tank. In fact, pretty sure a Bean won't work on a reef ready without some (( perhaps major )) modifications to the overflow(s).

I just reset up a RR 75, and plumbing the Herbie part took maybe an hour; including cutting the PVC and bonding them together.

Have had an Herbie on my 210 since December and still silent.
I have a 210 and am interested in running a herbie. Are you running the Herbie on the left and right overflows? How do you have your sump set up? Mine has the filter socks on the left side of sump. Will the Herbie on right side of tank still be efficient with the six foot run under the tank to the left side of the sump?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bean animal overflow, much like the ghost, for about $150 on ebay, that included the bulkheads and everything which was great, I only wish I got it 24" long instead of 16" for my 120. Other than that, no complaints, its quiet and reliable. Plus they look SUPER sleek, which is awesome. It sticks about an 1.5" into the tank which is hardly noticeable. Everyone reefer that comes and see's the tank comments on it and how they wish their overflow was that slim.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In essence, a herbie is silent, its the same method that the bean animal runs on, except the bean animal has an added security feature via the emergency drain.

Other than that, same principle applies to both.

OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bean animal overflow, much like the ghost, for about $150 on ebay, that included the bulkheads and everything which was great, I only wish I got it 24" long instead of 16" for my 120. Other than that, no complaints, its quiet and reliable. Plus they look SUPER sleek, which is awesome. It sticks about an 1.5" into the tank which is hardly noticeable. Everyone reefer that comes and see's the tank comments on it and how they wish their overflow was that slim.

I just check out your 120 build., i love how the overflow looks.!

So would you recomend it to me?

OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.

are this type of overflow really noisy?
IMG_1210.JPG

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably steer clear of that. I would do either a Herbie or a Bean. Plus, that would give you poor surface skimming performance. I think for the money, the one you linked to on Ebay would be your best bet.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TaylorPilot. That's going to be very noisy too. You'll hear a constant (or intermittent which is worse) sucking sound if that isn't tuned perfectly. That looks like it is set to pull from the surface and if it gets even a slight siphon, you'll get noise.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean will it work? If you want flow that is <10x then you are good. If your going to use a pump that runs at 1200gph at the head pressure you will have, then no.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back