Here’s my fish list.

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 180 gallon peninsula. Here’s my list of fish. Getting them all from Mike at Quarantined Fish. Will be sent in three batches tangs last. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Fins1

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let’s try this again. Lol
2 Bangaii Cardinals - bonded pair
2 Davinci clowns - bonded pair
2 purple firefish - bonded pair
Flame angel
Flame Hawk - when available
Powder blue tang
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Sailfin DesJardin tang
Blue hippo tang
Ornate wrasse
Carpenters fairy wrasse
Sixline wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse - New to list
Melanurus wrasse
Blue dot jawfish
Yellow head jawfish -
Royal Gramma
Hi Fin Red Banded goby
Wheelers shrimp goby
Orange spotted goby
Yellow clown goby
Green clown goby

OP
OP
Fins1

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 16 years ago and he was my favorite fish. Don’t remember him being an ******* but I’ve read a lot of horror stories lately. What if I was to put him in last with the tangs?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lotta gobies. Not that I’m complaining or anything gobies are cute. How will you control aggression?

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t kept tangs in a long time, but that seems very ambitious. I don’t think you have the space for that many and those species. Seems like trouble. I agree to contemplate that six line, some are ok and some will decide to bully the fairy and flashers to death. Perhaps a yellow “coris” instead. Or just stick with the other 3 and add an additional flasher or fairy if you want. How long has this system been running and how fast are you planning to add these fish?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding them all at once, or close to that. You'll have some territory and dominance battles and then things will settle down (if you provide enought places for each fish to have their spot).

Some fish that don't work out may have to be trapped and removed. Plan for that.

As far as the Purple and Yellow Tang.

I had a resident Yellow and about a couple month ago added the Purple. Both medium sized.
Was worried about agressiion.
It didn't happen.
They are best of buddies, so no worries there.

Although I red that Purple Tangs can get quite aggressive, and they should be last Tang/Fish you add.

Same goes for Power Blue.

You are getting a bit ambitious on having 5 Tangs, since they do get quite big, and it doesn't take too long.
I still love tangs so if you can work it out, it will be a nice thing.

As far as Wrasses...do your research on each species. Some will get along, and some will fight to the death till one or none make it. Also some wrasse are only happy with a Sand Bed, other's don't care.

You'll love the Purple FIrefish. I have one and it's a fun fish. OUT ALL THE TIME.
This one worked out, but a few years ago, I had a purple, and it hid for over a year.
I thought it was dead till one day I removed the rocks and it showed up.

Other Firefish you might consider, and I have one. It's my most favorite when it comes out once a day, same time every day, for a bite, and then dissapears....Is a Helfrichi Firefish. Absolutely beautiful.

I also have a pair of Danvinci clowns in a 35 Gal Frag Tank. They are great.
I've considered moving them to my 90 Gallon DT, which has a pair of Captivebred Clowns. Never have had the courage to do it, since I read (sometime clown pairs get along, and SOMETIME NOT AT ALL)

The Gobies can be plenty, unless the same species. So fine there.

Yup, I would worry about the 6 line. Just because of the horror stories.
The one story told to me from a LFS staff person, is a customer had one in his tank.
All good for quite some time. Snappy, but also was smaller than the other fish, so was kept under control
One Day, I guess it grew up, or got fed up, and in a short period of a couple of minutes...it zipped around the tank and plucked out the eyes from a bunch of fish, and then went on his happy way.
I'll personally never get one. Consider as beautiful, but not as agressive is the 8 Line.

Last edited:

Wes10C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 16 years ago and he was my favorite fish. Don’t remember him being an ******* but I’ve read a lot of horror stories lately. What if I was to put him in last with the tangs?
If that 6line goes rougue, itll be nearly impossible to remove him from the tank. You have the melanarus that will help with pest control.

OP
OP
Fins1

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t kept tangs in a long time, but that seems very ambitious. I don’t think you have the space for that many and those species. Seems like trouble. I agree to contemplate that six line, some are ok and some will decide to bully the fairy and flashers to death. Perhaps a yellow “coris” instead. Or just stick with the other 3 and add an additional flasher or fairy if you want. How long has this system been running and how fast are you planning to add these fish?
Going to start cycling this week. Getting fish in 3 batches starting in about a month. Getting all tangs last. Yeah might cancel the sixline.

OP
OP
Fins1

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding them all at once, or close to that. You'll have some territory and dominance battles and then things will settle down (if you provide enought places for each fish to have their spot).

Some fish that don't work out may have to be trapped and removed. Plan for that.

As far as the Purple and Yellow Tang.

I had a resident Yellow and about a couple month ago added the Purple. Both medium sized.
Was worried about agressiion.
It didn't happen.
They are best of buddies, so no worries there.

Although I red that Purple Tangs can get quite aggressive, and they should be last Tang/Fish you add.

Same goes for Power Blue.

You are getting a bit ambitious on having 5 Tangs, since they do get quite big, and it doesn't take too long.
I still love tangs so if you can work it out, it will be a nice thing.

As far as Wrasses...do your research on each species. Some will get along, and some will fight to the death till one or none make it. Also some wrasse are only happy with a Sand Bed, other's don't care.

You'll love the Purple FIrefish. I have one and it's a fun fish. OUT ALL THE TIME.
This one worked out, but a few years ago, I had a purple, and it hid for over a year.
I thought it was dead till one day I removed the rocks and it showed up.

Other Firefish you might consider, and I have one. It's my most favorite when it comes out once a day, same time every day, for a bite, and then dissapears....Is a Helfrichi Firefish. Absolutely beautiful.

I also have a pair of Danvinci clowns in a 35 Gal Frag Tank. They are great.
I've considered moving them to my 90 Gallon DT, which has a pair of Captivebred Clowns. Never have had the courage to do it, since I read (sometime clown pairs get along, and SOMETIME NOT AT ALL)

The Gobies can be plenty, unless the same species. So fine there.

Yup, I would worry about the 6 line. Just because of the horror stories.
The one story told to me from a LFS staff person, is a customer had one in his tank.
All good for quite some time. Snappy, but also was smaller than the other fish, so was kept under control
One Day, I guess it grew up, or got fed up, and in a short period of a couple of minutes...it zipped around the tank and plucked out the eyes from a bunch of fish, and then went on his happy way.
I'll personally never get one. Consider as beautiful, but not as agressive is the 8 Line.
Mike from Quarantined Fish says he has a system where he gets all the tangs to get a long By the end of quarantine. So I’m hoping that works out. From what I’ve read those wrasses should get along. Although I am having second thoughts about the six line. I will have a 2 inch sand bed.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Bangaii Cardinals - bonded pair
2 Davinci clowns - bonded pair
2 purple firefish - bonded pair
Flame angel
Flame Hawk - when available
Powder blue tang
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Sailfin DesJardin tang
Blue hippo tang
Ornate wrasse
Carpenters fairy wrasse
Sixline wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse - New to list
Melanurus wrasse
Blue dot jawfish
Yellow head jawfish -
Royal Gramma
Hi Fin Red Banded goby
Wheelers shrimp goby
Orange spotted goby
Yellow clown goby
Green clown goby
I would think this is way too much for even a 180, let's go through it first.
I would avoid any powder tangs,blue or brown, they are notorious for introducing ich early on and are extremely aggressive. A 180 is only big enough for the yellow and purple, sailfins and hippos get gigantic (10+") as they age.
I would also avoid the flame angel until the very end, when all colonies are grown out and big enough to take a hit now and then.
I would cut down on the wrasses as well, I don't think that many fairy wrasses would live together peacefully. I would choose one fairy and one non fairy, that way you'll be safe with aggression. Many people have warned against the sixline, I would agree but if done right they can be peaceful. You just have to add them LAST. That way the don't set up any territory to defend. It would still give all of you're bottom-dwelling fish a run for their money.

I would choose one species of jawfish, I would go with pearly/yellowhead because they are way more hardy. Blue dot jaws take a long time to acclimate to reef conditions, they're from deeper water.
Finally, the gobies. I'm personally not too sure if that many would be OK, I'm guessing that you're going to have shrimp paired with most of them? I think it should work, just remember to remove any of them that start being aggressive. Also, if pairing them with shrimp, get a different shrimp for each one, as if you have two of the same species they may pair together instead of (or in addition to) a goby.

Overall, the list was a bit overfilled, but you've got the fundamentals down. I'm no wrasse expert, so I may have to call in @evolved for this one.
Good luck my dude! God bless. You'll have to keep us posted on the tank as it gets set up.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW He does have just one fairy and one flasher on that list. The carpenters is a flasher and the exquisite is a fairy, and they get along just fine
Oops ;Facepalm I though the ornate wrasse was a fairy lol. You should be good then.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline absolutely must be omitted from that list, if you wish to have any additional wrasses.

Multiple species of fairys can easily be kept together, provided you choose wisely.

Start here:

OP
OP
Fins1

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would think this is way too much for even a 180, let's go through it first.
I would avoid any powder tangs,blue or brown, they are notorious for introducing ich early on and are extremely aggressive. A 180 is only big enough for the yellow and purple, sailfins and hippos get gigantic (10+") as they age.
Powder blue is my favorite fish wouldn’t do a tank without one. I‘ve designed my rock work where the tangs can do a 14 ft loop Not countI got all the through ways also. If any fish gets too big I will find him a new home.

I would also avoid the flame angel until the very end, when all colonies are grown out and big enough to take a hit now and then.
2nd favorite fish. Worth a few corals if need be. Lol

I would cut down on the wrasses as well, I don't think that many fairy wrasses would live together peacefully. I would choose one fairy and one non fairy, that way you'll be safe with aggression. Many people have warned against the sixline, I would agree but if done right they can be peaceful. You just have to add them LAST. That way the don't set up any territory to defend. It would still give all of you're bottom-dwelling fish a run for their money.
Ok going to cancel sixline. But did my homework and should be good with the rest.

I would choose one species of jawfish, I would go with pearly/yellowhead because they are way more hardy. Blue dot jaws take a long time to acclimate to reef conditions, they're from deeper water.
Again I feel the tank is big enough for both And I’ve always wanted a blue dot.

Finally, the gobies. I'm personally not too sure if that many would be OK, I'm guessing that you're going to have shrimp paired with most of them? I think it should work, just remember to remove any of them that start being aggressive. Also, if pairing them with shrimp, get a different shrimp for each one, as if you have two of the same species they may pair together instead of (or in addition to) a goby.
Not sure either but I’ll remove any I have to.

Overall, the list was a bit overfilled, but you've got the fundamentals down. I'm no wrasse expert, so I may have to call in @evolved for this one.
Good luck my dude! God bless. You'll have to keep us posted on the tank as it gets set up.
Thanks, check ou my build page. Put water in today. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/“...l-me-back-in-”-my-waterbox-6025-build.735447/

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost that combination of wrasses in a 180 gal - melanarus, McKosker's flasher (which I understand is very similar in temperment to the Carpenter's flasher) and an exquisite fairy. I also have a yellow "coris". They all get along fine. IDK how the ornate wrasse would change the dynamic though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back