Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! How frequently and how much do I dose per gallon in a 20g?

I have two tanks, a 6 month 20g and a new 75g. I’ve been waiting to transfer over all of my corals from the 20g because Ive been dealing with some hydroids. I wouldn’t call it an “infestation” just yet - but they have definitely managed to scatter themselves all over the tank. Mainly affecting my zoas. I picked up some dewormer that’s pure fenbendazole and wanted to be sure I get some advice before dosing. I can move all of my snails over and any corals who may be affected. I just wanted to know which ones. Here’s my coral list: rock flower anenome, mini maxi carpet anenome, birds nest, acans, hammer, Duncan’s, zoas, mushrooms and favia. Picture attached of the two types I’ve seen in my reef tank.

623413AC-4EC9-4943-852B-36E1556590FC.jpeg ABE34DAD-1389-4CD9-9360-D1B23B5CCF82.jpeg

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of those corals will be able to tolerate the treatment. I have no experience with rock flower anenome, mini maxi carpet anenome, but i had RBTs and they did not skip a beat.

good luck

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the liquid.
I dosed the powder several times and the highest dose i did was 4mg/gal for 1 wk.
.5ml in a 20g seemed to work for me. I’m going to keep checking to see if I see any reappear. The lights for my new tank come in Weds so I have no choice but to wait to transfer them anyways lol it also seemed to really effect my GHA, which I’m more than happy about! This stuff is awesome.

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here is my latest approach to deal with these clove polyps.
I made a thick Kalk paste solution in 3% hydrogen peroxide (the one you get at CVS, or any place). I made it very viscous so that it will sink to the bottom of the substrate.
I then turn off all my pumps and use a syringe to spot treat the areas with the BCP. I let this sit on the rocks for 1 hr with absolutely no flow.
after 1 hr, i turned on all the pumps to max. The tank did get cloudy and the ph increased a tad, but nothing to worry about.
Results: the rocks are cleaned, bleached white, even the corals (SPS) that i put it on looked clean. Really no signs of BCP. will have to see over time how this holds up.
I did this treatment at night when most of the fish were "sleeping" to prevent them from picking at the kalk paste.

Let me know if anyone else tries this.

Hello Menglish,

Any news about this treatment?

Thank you

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This unfortunately, did not work. I can see the polyps coming back on the coral i treated.
these buggers are tough.
Yeah, same here. I put my rock work into my 75 and found the dang things inside the crevices of the rock.. Its a small rock I got as a gift to seed my tank with live rock.. Sadly, I may just have to throw it away. Or I can take out the rock, and put the fenbendazole directly onto the hydroids. I could also try retreating with a higher dosage.. I’m still thinking of my options. I’ll update this later just in case someone else needs a solution :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue they always come back after a few months. In the end I’ve eradicated mine using a tiger cowrie, she loveS the zanclea hydroids specie

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get rid of the rock if you can, or kill it by bleach or drying it out. I have too many rocks to do that.
In fact i will take out a rock and a sps colony today and kill it. The polyps are on the sps and the colony is not doing well. I will just take out the whole rock and frag off what i can of the coral.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck.
The polyps came back weeks later.
Yesterday i decided to take out the rock and with the SPS colony that was covered in it. Killed it all :(
Soaked it in cold fresh water. Will eventually clean of the rock and may reuse it

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted this to work but at the end of the day Fenbendazolee was of time and money for me, I did an initial treatment at 2 mg/g followed by a second treatment a week later at the same amount both for 30 hrs. The colonial hydroids looked "dead" but they are dormant and in fact i think are coming back. I did however lose a few corals, I haven't had STN in 8-10 months and it shows up after each treatment, mild but STN non the less. It did cure a nasty worm case in my one wrasse that was praziquantel resistant, he does have a new lease on life and is no longer shy, I have praziquantel my Dt a few times without issue, Fishbendazole is slightly more "damaging" and i dont think i would run it again, i lost a few (turbo) snails after returning them post water changes a running carbon for a week. Not sure what happened to the OP @twilliard, but i don't see this as a viable path to be recommending.

I Think to be effective there is something in the Safe guard (if it works) or we need to find another source or interceptor (milbemycin oxime). I think this thread should be updated since the information is inaccurate for colonial hydroids; has anyone in the last year had success?

It seems Kalk is a too much labor and risk of killing stuff i dont want to (i plan on doing some here and there) but what fish work? I am now looking at a Filefish and Copper band, has anyone had success with biological control?

Last edited:

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted this to work but at the end of the day Fenbendazolee was of time and money for me, I did an initial treatment at 2 mg/g followed by a second treatment a week later at the same amount both for 30 hrs. The colonial hydroids looked "dead" but they are dormant and in fact i think are coming back. I did however lose a few corals, I haven't had STN in 8-10 months and it shows up after each treatment, mild but STN non the less. It did cure a nasty worm case in my one wrasse that was praziquantel resistant, he does have a new lease on life and is no longer shy, I have praziquantel my Dt a few times without issue, Fishbendazole is slightly more "damaging" and i dont think i would run it again, i lost a few (turbo) snails after returning them post water changes a running carbon for a week. Not sure what happened to the OP @twilliard, but i don't see this as a viable path to be recommending.

I Think to be effective there is something in the Safe guard (if it works) or we need to find another source or interceptor (milbemycin oxime). I think this thread should be updated since the information is inaccurate for colonial hydroids; has anyone in the last year had success?

It seems Kalk is a too much labor and risk of killing stuff i dont want to (i plan on doing some here and there) but what fish work? I am now looking at a Filefish and Copper band, has anyone had success with biological control?
its either kalk or blow torch from what im seeing lol

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jstn
You did not say what corals you lose. Not sure you can attribute the STN to the treatment directly. My tank had loads of SPS and I treated at 4mg/g for 1 week and did not loose any corals. Yes, tubro snail were not expected to survive the treatment.
These polyps are so difficult to deal with.
It would be good to update the thread as lots have been added.
I

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jstn
You did not say what corals you lose. Not sure you can attribute the STN to the treatment directly. My tank had loads of SPS and I treated at 4mg/g for 1 week and did not loose any corals. Yes, tubro snail were not expected to survive the treatment.
These polyps are so difficult to deal with.
It would be good to update the thread as lots have been added.
I

After my first treatment ended my TSA fruity pebbles shed a bit of flesh then stn for a few days, week later after the second treatment it did it again and now is 30% left, both times i did a TMCP did. I also have a rainbow acan that 2 of the 3 frags (in different parts of the tank) are doing a polyp bailout STN. Now i cant say 100% sure it was the treatment but I would say I am 95% sure. This would be fine if it knocked them out which it didn't do, i am happy to have my ruby head wrasse being healthy as a silver lining thought. But i have not had an STN event in almost a year, this is why i am suspect of the treatment.

I have read through this thread a few times and it seems the treatment stopped working 2-3 years ago. I'm sure when first discussed Twilliards results were accurate, its just now getting to the recent few years i cant find anyone saying it worked and after trying it myself twice i think its time to update this thread to save others the time and also discuss other methods, a tear down isnt an option at this time and if i could get some form of control I would be happy.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my first treatment ended my TSA fruity pebbles shed a bit of flesh then stn for a few days, week later after the second treatment it did it again and now is 30% left, both times i did a TMCP did. I also have a rainbow acan that 2 of the 3 frags (in different parts of the tank) are doing a polyp bailout STN. Now i cant say 100% sure it was the treatment but I would say I am 95% sure. This would be fine if it knocked them out which it didn't do, i am happy to have my ruby head wrasse being healthy as a silver lining thought. But i have not had an STN event in almost a year, this is why i am suspect of the treatment.

I have read through this thread a few times and it seems the treatment stopped working 2-3 years ago. I'm sure when first discussed Twilliards results were accurate, its just now getting to the recent few years i cant find anyone saying it worked and after trying it myself twice i think its time to update this thread to save others the time and also discuss other methods, a tear down isnt an option at this time and if i could get some form of control I would be happy.

I feel you.
A tear down is not an option for me. Now i am just looking at ways to manage it. Been trying the Kalk paste, but it only slow them down and certain places i cannot even get to,

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you.
A tear down is not an option for me. Now i am just looking at ways to manage it. Been trying the Kalk paste, but it only slow them down and certain places i cannot even get to,
got a picture of your out break?

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try once more. :)

I am thinking on using this method but would like to hear if someone with nitrate reactors have done this before me?

I have alot of big fish in my aquarium and I need nitrate reactors to keep up with nitrate reduction. They are depending on bacteria will this method interfer with the filters? Any knowledge?

Anyone read this: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ndazole_and_flubendazole_to_aquatic_organisms ??

Do you know if anyone with nitrate reactors have tried this and what was the result?

Having a 2000 liters mixed reef with alot of fish and alot of money in this aquarium so a little nervous about dosing.

I'm not that worried regarding fish and corals but if the fenbendazole have a negative impact on the nitrate reactors I will have a big problem.

Also looking for a list of what sorts of coral gets affected..

At this moment I have alot of lps, some sps and ALOT of zoas.

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it did not work for me either. I largely ended up getting frustrated and ignored my rank because they killed my GMKs and I was ticked. After a few month of ignoring my tank (other than making sure my fish didn’t die) I came to find a few things. My corals largely survived, despite parameters slowly falling far out of line during this time. I also still see a few random hydroids but their population seemingly went from insane numbers to very few, naturally.

this won’t help you if you’re in the midst of an outbreak, but maybe it’ll give you hope.

j

Back