Hermit bleaching my monticap

edbl

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
10
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping blue leg hermits with my red monticap coral for a couple of months now with no problems and all of a sudden the biggest one decided to sit and stay on it. I thought nothing of it so I left it alone and a couple days later the coral is bleaching right where the hermit was sitting. Naturally I tossed it off but it keeps climbing right back. I'd put it in my sump, but the closest thing I have is the dark back chamber of my all-in-one nano tank. Any suggestions?
 
I've been keeping blue leg hermits with my red monticap coral for a couple of months now with no problems and all of a sudden the biggest one decided to sit and stay on it. I thought nothing of it so I left it alone and a couple days later the coral is bleaching right where the hermit was sitting. Naturally I tossed it off but it keeps climbing right back. I'd put it in my sump, but the closest thing I have is the dark back chamber of my all-in-one nano tank. Any suggestions?
I experienced the same thing, but my monti died and that was a long time ago. But anyways, do you have an acclimation box that you can use to isolate him?
 
Upvote 0
It would take a couple of days of the hermit sitting on the monti for it to turn white, and once you remove the monti, the previously white part should heal easily and quickly. I've had things fall on my monti's over the years, and once I remove the object the monti always heals. But overall, a hermit sitting on a coral shouldn't bother it too much.

Can you show a picture in white lights of your monti? Maybe something is happening with the monti that is attracting the hermit....
 
Upvote 0
It would take a couple of days of the hermit sitting on the monti for it to turn white, and once you remove the monti, the previously white part should heal easily and quickly. I've had things fall on my monti's over the years, and once I remove the object the monti always heals. But overall, a hermit sitting on a coral shouldn't bother it too much.

Can you show a picture in white lights of your monti? Maybe something is happening with the monti that is attracting the hermit....
Yeah id say its been sitting there for the last 2-3 days
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6480.jpeg
    IMG_6480.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0
I experienced the same thing, but my monti died and that was a long time ago. But anyways, do you have an acclimation box that you can use to isolate him?
unfortunately not but either way i feel like hed go back even after weeks of isolation. good news is he hasnt been up there since the day before yesterday
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new