Hermit crab’s new home?

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

So I recently added a pretty cool little Halloween hermit to my 40 gallon. My first crabs. It is a murder, but that’s beside the point. Unless your a trochus snail.

So, it seems to have abandoned its shell, to take up residence under a coral frag plug that is not attached to my rock work.

I’m not terribly worried about the coral being harmed. I was wondering if I should move the frag and see if he goes back to his shell? Would exposing it to the fish in the tank be a death sentence? I can’t actually tell how big it is.

Or should I assume the shell was abandoned because it outgrew it and swap the shell with a larger one and see if it moves in? The shell is sitting right next to it currently.

Not exactly an emergency, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely offer it some larger shells, and don’t expose it if it doesn’t have a shell - especially if it just recently molted or is about to.

That said, I’d suggest double checking if the hermit actually left the shell, or you’re just seeing its molt.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Halloween hermit recently molted and for a while I thought it was dead because it wasn’t moving for days. And then when I saw the molt, I thought for sure it was dead. When I picked up his shell I couldn’t see the crab inside. I put it in the sand and a little while later I saw that it had moved. It’s now looking as good as ever

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this is why I decided to ask. It makes sense, but I didn’t even consider that he may be molting. I have a few extra shells so I’ll stack them up nearby and see what happens.

Thank you for the replies!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back