Hermit crab advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter MadCaddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MadCaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2023
Messages
35
Reaction score
21
Location
AB
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank approximately 4 months established and I’d like to add som CuC. I thought hermit crabs would add some eye appealing life/movement so went to the LFS to pick some up. The owner ended up taking me out of it (weird right?!). He said he wished he never got hermit crabs for his personal tanks because they always get so big and eventually threaten the fish in the tank. Does anyone have experience with hermit crabs that stay small and won’t eat my fish a couple years down the road? My tank is 65 gallon total, 55 gallon display. Looking for recommendations!
 
Not sure what kinds are being sold at your lfs, but most of the common ones are harmless to fish.
Blue and red leg as mentioned are good to have.
 
My Halloween hermit is unpredictable.
Get dwarf ones. They are fun.
 
I regret my electric blue hermit crabs. I feed algae and they still go and kill my snails. My snails actually act as a cleanup crew. The hermits are just murders. And yes, I have 4-5 different shells inside for them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new