Hermit Crab ate my Maxima Clam

Sounds like I am getting rid of that hermit or putting it in my sump.
 
I know this is an old post but just found my clam dead.
Have had this clam (aquacultured tridacl) for about 4 months.
Also have many small blue and red legged crabs and 4 large (unknown what kind) brown and Tanish legged crabs each 2-3 inch shells. The large ones have always seemed to pick things, but the clam was very reactive and would close up quick if crab got too close or poked at it. I have seen the brown crabs pick at tentacles of anemones, and even reach for fish as they swim by, but no major damage observed. I got these from another reefer that I bought some corals from that was taking down tank. He gave them to me for free so I’m not sure what they are

This morning found all 4 of the large brown crabs in and around the shell.

I have no idea if it died and they are the dead meat, or if they killed it and ate it. But I suspect they killed it. No really way to know but I think I’ll be taking the 4 big brown crabs out of the tank.
Anyone local to Los Angeles want them for free? Otherwise may end up at lfs if they will take them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new