Hermit crab behaviour

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first inverts today, 3 red legged hermit crabs. Just wondering how they should generally behave - when placed in the tank, 2 ran off and hid in the rocks, haven’t been seen since. The third did a complete lap of the tank outer walls before settling on a patch of sand and hasn’t moved since. How long should I give it before going searching for the ones in the rocks to make sure they haven’t died?

OP
OP
D

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just wanted reassurance - first time stocking a saltwater tank so was concerned I may not have drip acclimated them long enough, or handled them too roughly when placing in.

They were pretty active in the bag - fighting each other, probably glad to have some alone time!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your build thread. Awesome setup! Two beautiful clowns. I wouldn't disturb things looking for your hermits. Probably just getting used to the new surroundings. Your tank looks pretty clean. You may want to ensure they get some of the food when you feed. I'm sure they will be fine.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just wanted reassurance - first time stocking a saltwater tank so was concerned I may not have drip acclimated them long enough, or handled them too roughly when placing in.

They were pretty active in the bag - fighting each other, probably glad to have some alone time!
I tend to take a little longer to acclimate my inverts. Seen too many that were poured in too fast and didn’t make it

OP
OP
D

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your build thread. Awesome setup! Two beautiful clowns. I wouldn't disturb things looking for your hermits. Probably just getting used to the new surroundings. Your tank looks pretty clean. You may want to ensure they get some of the food when you feed. I'm sure they will be fine.

Thanks very much, appreciate the compliments!
Yeh, the tank hasn’t really had any ugly stage yet, a few small brown spots but last weeks 50% water changed wiped them out. The guy at my LFS seemed content that the crabs would feed on what the clowns don’t eat, hopefully that’s right.

OP
OP
D

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours in and it appears that 2 of the crabs have ditched their shells. One is in hiding, one is sat on the sand near the third who still has a shell. Abandoned shells are hidden under the rockscape.
Odd little things, think I’ll stick to snails in future!

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours in and it appears that 2 of the crabs have ditched their shells. One is in hiding, one is sat on the sand near the third who still has a shell. Abandoned shells are hidden under the rockscape.
Odd little things, think I’ll stick to snails in future!

You need extra shells in there ASAP. A hermit crab doesn't like being shell less. They could be molts you are seeing but I would make sure they have a few bigger shells to move to. They will kill snails so they can get a bigger home. If you leave a few shells on the sand bed they usually leave the snails alone.

Back