Hermit Crab eaten during molt?

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, recently my electric blue hermit crab died after 3 weeks of introduction and his replacement literally died within 3 days.
My Blenny has a suspiciously full stomach when the first crab died( I hadn't fed yet) and my fire shrimp is eating some meaty hermit legs when the second one died.

Everyone else is doing great so I doubt it is the water, this led to my conclusion that they were attacked and consumed during molting.

I've also released that I don't remember seeing hermit crab molt or in the process of molting ever. I've seem shrimp and crab molts dozens of times but not hermit crabs.

So how do hermit crab behave when they molt? Do they fall out of their shell and lay limply on the sand for hours?
My cleaner shrimp molt almost once a week without any issue, how is it that hermits always seem to die on their first molt (assuming my hypothesis is right)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can happen as their ektoskeleton is soft first several hours

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your rockscape have for hiding places for the hermits to use during a molt?
I've had stupid hermits molt right on the sandbed ... not the best plan for evolution :p

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake ate my red legged hermit when it had molted or was trying to change shells. They co-existed without issue for months. Plenty of hiding places but likely few the eel couldn't traverse.

Seabiscuit & Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cone shell hermit just crawled out of his shell yesterday and I saw the molt floating around with all my shrimp on top of it, thought they killed him but I also saw him walking around in his shell earlier in the day while at the same time a shrimp was walking around with the hermit's arm... the shell is wedged inside the rock and hasnt moved for a while so unsure if he survived that one

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cone shell hermit just crawled out of his shell yesterday and I saw the molt floating around with all my shrimp on top of it, thought they killed him but I also saw him walking around in his shell earlier in the day while at the same time a shrimp was walking around with the hermit's arm... the shell is wedged inside the rock and hasnt moved for a while so unsure if he survived that one
something similar happened lol, I found my molted-hermit's body, I thought he was dead, until I saw him in the tank. he just molted.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back