Hermit Crab eating rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter brclark82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

brclark82

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2023
Messages
277
Reaction score
200
Location
Central IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the purple “LifeRock” in my tank. It’s only about 6 weeks old and I have had a Halloween hermit in there for about 3 weeks.

In the last couple days he has started picking the purple off the rock and spitting out a cloud of chewed up rock.

Could this be becuase he doesn’t have enough to eat? I have a decent amount of algae in the rocks and sand but not a ton. I overfeed a bit so there should easily be some extra brine shrimp or pellets laying around for him to get. I only have 2 crabs and 4 snails in a 55 gallon.

Any thoughts on something I should do differently or do some crabs just do that?
 
Ah, so that's it. I was wondering where my purple was going. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
 
Are you sure its not coralline algae?

I find it more believable its eating coralline than sniffing non-toxic paint, but I suppose anything that grazes could scratch it.
 
I have the purple “LifeRock” in my tank. It’s only about 6 weeks old and I have had a Halloween hermit in there for about 3 weeks.

In the last couple days he has started picking the purple off the rock and spitting out a cloud of chewed up rock.

Could this be becuase he doesn’t have enough to eat? I have a decent amount of algae in the rocks and sand but not a ton. I overfeed a bit so there should easily be some extra brine shrimp or pellets laying around for him to get. I only have 2 crabs and 4 snails in a 55 gallon.

Any thoughts on something I should do differently or do some crabs just do that?
Huh okay I'm not the only one, I just posted about the same thing wondering what's going on, my Halloween hermit just carved a big white hole in the center of my aquascape! I haven't heard of any other kind of crab that does this, but it does seem like a bit of an issue.
 

Attachments

  • 20230606_202102.jpg
    20230606_202102.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 91
My hermit has taken to slicing branches off my Kenya tree which is growing faster than he can prune.i have about 9 frags of it now I'll be donating to LFS in few months
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new