Hermit Crab Shells

Scallywag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, do the hermit crabs in my tank need larger shells to move into at some point? I have seen them change shells but with existing shells in the tank. I guess they are older shells from larger crabs or snails that have died.

I am new to salt and never had anything like this in freshwater.

Also, at some point is it beneficial to add new cleanup crews? I seems like there are less in there from when they were first added.

nvMarco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some additional (larger) spares can't hurt. Depends on the growth potential of your hermits. But variety doesn't hurt. And yes.. at a certain point you want to review your current stock and replenish where needed. Most of the crew members just don't reproduce in our tanks.

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure how many were in there to begin with, being I got the tank all setup with inhabitants. My goby has stacked up quite a few empty shells over time.

Any idea how long an entire crew would last, approximately? It seems to be more empty crab shells than snail shells.

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if any actually did die off but it definitely has not been 2-3 years. However, this whole system was moved from my neighbors house to mine, as an established setup. Maybe there were casualties during the move. No fish were lost and the shrimp were fine as well.

I only feed the crabs with tiny pellets on occasion, figuring there's enough left over food and other sources for them. Should I be feeding them more often?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back