Hermit crab... Spider web?

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard a fairly loud "clack" from the tank, like a shell hitting the glass. Walked over and see my tiger conch scooting away from two hermits, one of which was on it's back and was struggling to right itself. I figured it was a big of aggression, maybe the hermits trying to mug the conch for his shell. I noticed my cleaner shrimp start taking off to hide, and realize it's running from some sort of... Web? I keep looking at realize that the web seems to be coming from the upside down hermit. I've got no idea what this is, but the hermit is either expelling this web or is caught in it somehow. Any ideas?

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity,I was able to watch the video originally and I'm on Android. Be curious to know if that's a factor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just heard a fairly loud "clack" from the tank, like a shell hitting the glass. Walked over and see my tiger conch scooting away from two hermits, one of which was on it's back and was struggling to right itself. I figured it was a big of aggression, maybe the hermits trying to mug the conch for his shell. I noticed my cleaner shrimp start taking off to hide, and realize it's running from some sort of... Web? I keep looking at realize that the web seems to be coming from the upside down hermit. I've got no idea what this is, but the hermit is either expelling this web or is caught in it somehow. Any ideas?
looks like mucus associated with stress from coral

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermetid snail getting really unhappy that a hermit crab is trying to evict it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back