Hermit Crab - White Legs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PotatoPig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
1,466
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a few hermit crabs at the LFS and while in QT I noticed two of them have white legs. At first I assumed this was a fresh/pending molt, but it’s been a few weeks now and no change. The other ones are very clearly blue legged and doing fine.

Are these crabs sick or just a different type of hermit? They all seem about the same size, similar behavior, and haven’t seen any aggression between them.
 
Do they have blue eye? I would get these in assorted hermit crab lots and always loved them. They seem to stay smaller than the red legs, but other than that, similar behavior and never noticed them to a pest specifically.
 
Can you attach pictures?
Here we go, should have done this to start…

This one’s shell also seems to have a shell.

IMG_9068.jpeg


 
Here we go, should have done this to start…

This one’s shell also seems to have a shell.

IMG_9068.jpeg


The second shell is probably a hoof snail or similar - harmless literal hitchhikers that ride around on snails and hermits’ shells eating either their host’s waste or whatever food the host brings them into range of eating.
 
So I picked up a few hermit crabs at the LFS and while in QT I noticed two of them have white legs. At first I assumed this was a fresh/pending molt, but it’s been a few weeks now and no change. The other ones are very clearly blue legged and doing fine.

Are these crabs sick or just a different type of hermit? They all seem about the same size, similar behavior, and haven’t seen any aggression between them.
looks like clibanarius species often called white leg hermits. The shell object may be calcareous build up or typical bump on many shells as below

1691804933035.png
 
looks like clibanarius species often called white leg hermits. The shell object may be calcareous build up or typical bump on many shells as below

1691804933035.png
Do you have any input on their temperament compared to other hermits?
 
Seeing hairy legs, likely not a good tank mate but can be placed in sump to be a scavenger
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new