Hermit Crabs and empty shells to have...

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking to add a single blue hermit crab just for some diversity in the tank and to help with keeping things clean.

I understand that I need to have empty shells in the tank, so that the crab can 'change' into. I'm assuming that this is because they grow and need a new shell. The question I have is how many shells should I be having for a single hermit, and what of the size I should be adding?

Do adult size - full grown hermits change shells for the heck of it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just needs a slightly bigger shell at some point, its not urgent.

I usually clean and keep my snail shells, to use as hermit shells. You can buy hermit shells, many LFS have them by the cash register.

I just leave 2 or 3 empties in the tank for them to choose from

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just needs a slightly bigger shell at some point, its not urgent.

I usually clean and keep my snail shells, to use as hermit shells. You can buy hermit shells, many LFS have them by the cash register.

I just leave 2 or 3 empties in the tank for them to choose from
Thanks, so if I understand correctly, whatever shell they are in now, get one that's slightly larger, and then get another one slightly larger and so on for a total of 3.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so if I understand correctly, whatever shell they are in now, get one that's slightly larger, and then get another one slightly larger and so on for a total of 3.
I don't know how often then molt, I meant that I only leave 2 or 3 shells on the sandbed, I don't like to clutter my sandbed. But they keep the shells for a couple of months before upgrading, its not like they need a new shell every week. Cheers

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do change sometimes for the heck of it, or because their new shell was not good enough. I had one who changed to a new shell, then back to his old shell, then changed again.
They also have favorite shapes. Their favorite has the shape of the nassarius snails.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seashellshop.com “Indian Shell Mix.” You’ll have more shells than you’ll need. Mix them in with your gravel, for homes, for your Copepods and Amphipods. As a precaution, boil the Shells in a glass pot for a few minute, before adding them to the Aquarium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back