hermit crabs being killed

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my hermit crab is missing its entire lower half and one of the shells is broken now (like chipped away) i have seen this before in my dead hermit crabs but this crab is moving around without its lower half I can literally see inside my crab now. i found it because my clownfish were playing with it in the water. thinking about it now i have found lots of shells with holes in the same place. i have snails an emerald crab other hermit crabs a couple of micro brittle starfish and a peppermint shrimp. there could be things that stay in the rocks that i don't know about but other then that what could be causing this? i have heard that hermit crabs will attack other hermit crabs but i am not sure if they can break shells.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your live rocks? Typical hermit crabs cannot break each others shells

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (10).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 128
  • unnamed (11).jpg
    unnamed (11).jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your live rocks? Typical hermit crabs cannot break each others shells
i only had 2 rocks that didn't dry out by the time i got home with them and they were 3 inch long and no height and the other had no holes i got one very large rock but it dried out

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only had 2 rocks that didn't dry out by the time i got home with them and they were 3 inch long and no height and the other had no holes i got one very large rock but it dried out
You'd be surprised how long some critters can survive out of the water. Where did the rocks come from?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever hear any clicks? Got a pic of the injured crab?

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am also seeing these white tube things appear (i dont know if they have anything to do with this at all i dont even know what they are)

Attachments

• IMG_6481.jpg
    IMG_6481.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 117

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a mantis, must have come in on my rock as an egg. A year into my tank I would hear a pop and then I would be missing a fish. You will definitely hear a pop when they kill. They are beautiful but can cause you harm. Be careful. We pulled out each rock until the pop came from the test bucket. Then we removed the rock. I lost a lot of fish in the process. I am not sure what the white tubes are? My mantis never left holes- he was more of a blaster crusher....we would find crushed aspects... not perfect holes. Maybe you have a different pest.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the holes a spear mantis will make. Idk what the other kind is called but they are most crushers than anything. A spear mantis shoots a spear basically into its prey. Pretty sure that’s what you’ve got is a small one hiding in your rocks somewhere.

edit: I don’t think spear mantis make that clock noise when they fire but I’m not sure

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing ever, search for true facts mantis shrimp video....freaking hilarious and educational.

Not sure fish wise what you have, but there are a number of fish that can crack the shell.....my CC are appetizers for my triggers and puffs.

I had a crsher type mantis, really cool, had to tank it alone. Definitely could beating the crabs....listen for the click

The tube for me look like a Super tongan nassarius snail.....very good CC. look them up on liveaquaria.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back