Hermit Crabs Dying

1.023 is still too low. How can water just drop to 1.020 in one day? In order for that to happen, fresh water will have had to be added.
I have an ATO but I also have a lid so that shouldn't be happening. That's what I don't understand.
 
It can happen if you're using a hydrometer to read salinity. The one I had would fluctuate depending on how well it was cleaned the last time and I think temperature comes in to play when using them as well.
I have a refractometer that I am reading it with and I just calibrated it right before I got the 1.02 reading. I measured twice to make sure it was not off. I take a pipette and get water from the top 1/3 of the tank in the flow of the powerhead. Should I be getting it from lower?
 
I have a refractometer that I am reading it with and I just calibrated it right before I got the 1.02 reading. I measured twice to make sure it was not off. I take a pipette and get water from the top 1/3 of the tank in the flow of the powerhead. Should I be getting it from lower?
It doesn't really matter if your tank has a pump running at all times. Hydrometer's can be hard to read sometimes and if you rinse it with freshwater even a little residual moisture on the slide can throw off results.
 
It doesn't really matter if your tank has a pump running at all times. Hydrometer's can be hard to read sometimes and if you rinse it with freshwater even a little residual moisture on the slide can throw off results.
I am not using a hydrometer, I am using a refractometer.
 
My suggestion would be to check the salinity before and after your ATO tops up the system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new