Hermit crabs eat coral

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Please can you tell me if hermit crabs eat soft coral like this one in the picture below?

If anyone knows the name of the Coral too?

IMG_20210309_213839.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I wanted to share my experience. I’ve had hermits that grow very large that developed a taste for corals. I’ve move two to the sump because of this. It seems To only be the very large brown ones. I’ve never had issues with red or blue foot small hermit crabs. I think as a general rule they don’t usually eat coral- but it is a living creature and can sometimes not follow the norm. Just food for thought.

to me- if I actually see and witness a crab eating something is the time I remove them. And again it’s only been large hermits that have ever caused any issues.

figured I would share my experience. Take care and happy reefing.
6201B189-3E9F-47A2-B693-FD43393308D4.jpeg

OP
OP
gregrobjones

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I wanted to share my experience. I’ve had hermits that grow very large that developed a taste for corals. I’ve move two to the sump because of this. It seems To only be the very large brown ones. I’ve never had issues with red or blue foot small hermit crabs. I think as a general rule they don’t usually eat coral- but it is a living creature and can sometimes not follow the norm. Just food for thought.

to me- if I actually see and witness a crab eating something is the time I remove them. And again it’s only been large hermits that have ever caused any issues.

Gorgeous reef you got

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some will especially wild caught and especially emerald crabs. Those little green monsters will eventually haunt you !!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous reef you got
Thank you my friend! I havesoftie tank and a mixed softy/lps/sps tank too.

I love sharing - everyone around me is tired of hearing about my tanks lol so I like to share here because at lease I know most on r2r may enjoy seeing it lol.

here’s the other tank - under heavy blues with a orange filter on iPhone:

5860991E-A97B-4629-A405-794F8163D43E.jpeg

Thanks for your compliment my friend and happy reefing!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you my friend! I havesoftie tank and a mixed softy/lps/sps tank too.

I love sharing - everyone around me is tired of hearing about my tanks lol so I like to share here because at lease I know most on r2r may enjoy seeing it lol.

here’s the other tank - under heavy blues with a orange filter on iPhone:

5860991E-A97B-4629-A405-794F8163D43E.jpeg

Thanks for your compliment my friend and happy reefing!
Tank goals! And I agree a fish/invert can always stray from the norm! I woke up the other week to my peppermint shrimp holding 3 tentacles from my RBTA like a fat kid with cake, he lives in the sump now

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank goals! And I agree a fish/invert can always stray from the norm! I woke up the other week to my peppermint shrimp holding 3 tentacles from my RBTA like a fat kid with cake, he lives in the sump now
Is the sump where we send naughty things to live? I got a diamond goby and a shrimp who would love their own private condo under my tank lol.

Back