Hermit eating coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,241
Reaction score
962
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of days ago I came home at night and found that my psammocora has a piece missing. I assumed the only fish in the tank - Biota baby Coral Beauty - nipped it. Just saw this hermit crab sitting there and looks like munching. Is this... what the heck is going on? Do I need to nuke this hermit from space?



20260726_150039_F27041D7-A7F4-41DD-BD32-52A61427ED91.png
 
Could be eating the dead tissue but they're invertebrates and invertebrates (and most fish really) don't play by the rules sometimes.

I'd keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or happens to other corals, take Mr. Hermit Crab and banish him to the sump.
 
Could be eating the dead tissue but they're invertebrates and invertebrates (and most fish really) don't play by the rules sometimes.

I'd keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or happens to other corals, take Mr. Hermit Crab and banish him to the sump.
That's one of the best frags I have in the tank!
 
This is why I don't really like hermits. Just curious, what shell is it in. It looks like a nassarius vibex shell, which my most evil hermit (who died during a molt, which was......... unfortunately?) was in whenever he was in his reign of terror. He killed like 12 of my snails. Hopefully your Coral gets better
 
This is why I don't really like hermits. Just curious, what shell is it in. It looks like a nassarius vibex shell, which my most evil hermit (who died during a molt, which was......... unfortunately?) was in whenever he was in his reign of terror. He killed like 12 of my snails. Hopefully your Coral gets better
I have a lot of dead snails - well, their shells - in the tank. There were a lot of Nassarius, among others. Not even sure how many are left! I like hermits to watch, but... yeah. What are the alternatives? I have blue legged and scarlet legged.
 
This is why I don't really like hermits. Just curious, what shell is it in. It looks like a nassarius vibex shell, which my most evil hermit (who died during a molt, which was......... unfortunately?) was in whenever he was in his reign of terror. He killed like 12 of my snails. Hopefully your Coral gets better
I have a lot of dead snails - well, their shells - in the tank. There were a lot of Nassarius, among others. Not even sure how many are left! I like hermits to watch, but... yeah. What are the alternatives? I have blue legged and scarlet legged.
I am unsure, I was just curious because I was wondering if hermits that prefer nassarius vibex (I think that what this hermit was in) are especially naughty
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new