Hey From Uganda, EAST AFRICA!!!

Kabir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I'm 15 years old and for my entire life I have lived in Uganda, East Africa, until me and my family moved to Gainesville, Florida. I been fish keeping for about 5 years. In Uganda I kept a Freshwater tank, because it's impossible to find saltwater fish there! In Uganda the hobby itself is also very expensive because all the supplies and fish have to be shipped in! Baby angelfish cost $16 and tiger barbs cost $15 per fish as well! After a lot of hard work and saving, I ended up with two aquariums. One of them was the tank i started off with A 100 Gallon Tank. Aquarium themselves are cheap, but the filters as well as the fish are really expensive! I was new to fishkeeping and i was just 10 so I basically added random fish that i had no idea about their compatibility. I added in 5 small koi, tinfoil barbs, as well as a bunch on local cichlids and a pair of baby angelfish lol! Although some fish died, 5 years later the 3 remaining koi were 12 inches each, the cichlids became massive gentle giants and I had succesfully bred my angelfish several times and reared over 1,000 babies!!! I started my second tank about tank 3 years after I got my first one, by then I knew much more about fish keeping. I set up a community tank filled with wild caught guppies as well as livebearers imported from Europe such as Swordtails and Black Mollies that are also very expensive to get. I also kept a betta in this tank and I managed to succesfully breed him twice, but the fry kept on getting ich and dying so I only managed to succesfully rear the fry once.

Now here i am, moved to gainesville, set up a 75 gallon saltwater tank two months ago. My corals are thriving (Soft corals), such as Duncans, Zoas, Star Polyps, Leathers and a brain coral. over 100lbs of liverock! I really love my fish as well that are just some basic hardy reef safe fish, such as a yellow tang, a maroon clownfish, a coral beauty, etc.

I Hope I'll Be Able To Post a Picture Soon....And eventually win aquarium of the month LOL

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Im sure i speak for all of us here and are thrilled to have you aboard.

Looking forward to see some pics.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Kabir! Look forward to seeing your tank :)

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined us. Loved reading your bio. Hope you are liking Gville-- I used to live in Lake City :). Cant wait to see your tank !

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me as well and welcometo R2R everyone is great around here you need to know something just start up a thred in the right section lol

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool! Welcome to R2R and G'ville! Sounds like your off to a good start with saltwater stuff. I live in Gainesville too. We have a small reef club and you should come to our next frag swap.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha...silly me. I should have looked closer at your name. I guess you already know about the reef club.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Welcome! If our economy keeps going the way it is, we will have to pay prices like that in U.S.A. I am sure in the next few years you will not be able to get wild caught fish and coral.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back