Hey Guys newbie here

MikeyBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I recently decided I wanted to take the plunge into the saltwater aquarium community. I am a complete newbie to the hobby but always had a love for tanks. I've been doing some research online to find out exactly what I would need to get the tank up and running. A good friend of mine recently gave me his 90 gallon tank and cabinet. I know it's big but might as well go all in right? Lol. I'd love to have live rock in the tank as well. I know I'll need the following:
1-Lighting
2-skimmers/filters
3-powerheads
4-heater & thermometer
5-air pump

Is there any brands I should avoid or try to purchase? Is there a benefit between LED lighting vs fluorescent? Sorry for the long post, I guess any insight would be appreciated since I have no one else to ask.
Mike

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depending on what you want to keep in your tank will help people help you determine whats right. Do you want to keep coral? If so what type some are more light demanding then others. Also not sure why you need a air pump. Water movement and the skimmer will aerate the water.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

You'll get 100 different opinions on lighting, :D

Keep us updated on your build!

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Take your time.

Think about what you want in the tank, because you might buy different equipment for different inhabitants.

We started a reef club "Westchester Reef Club" find us on Facebook if you're in the area and come to a meeting. You'll learn a lot, and probably have people giving you frags for your tank.

Howard

OP
OP
MikeyBlack

MikeyBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm from the Brooklyn area, but distance is never an issue when it comes to enjoying yourself. I will definitely check out your club's Facebook page, hopefully they don't mind someone being from the city ha. I will definitely keep you guys up to date on the build

Mikey

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, there are several member that live very close to you. I lived in Bayside Queens for a little time back in the late 90's early 2000's

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back