happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8625.jpeg

Things are going pretty well. Added a couple more Little Rock towers so I can mount some more corals. Fish are doing great. Really glad I got the Tusk so far. It’s fattening up nicely and is an awesome fish to watch. I still need to mount and arrange some corals differently but almost everything seems happy and is growing. I finally fixed my underwater camera so will try and get some pics in this thread that aren’t just phone pics.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8625.jpeg

Things are going pretty well. Added a couple more Little Rock towers so I can mount some more corals. Fish are doing great. Really glad I got the Tusk so far. It’s fattening up nicely and is an awesome fish to watch. I still need to mount and arrange some corals differently but almost everything seems happy and is growing. I finally fixed my underwater camera so will try and get some pics in this thread that aren’t just phone pics.
Glad to see the tank is still going strong!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible job keeping up with this thread on this build. Got rid of my fox face because he loved eating my acros and I got rid of my neon wrasse because he became a huge bully. A friend gave me a flasher wrasse and the neon chased it out of the tank onto the hard floor and it flopped under the tank. I eventually got it back in and it floated down to the sand and laid there upside down and blew in the flow to where I couldn’t see it. I chalked it up as dead and a month later, I saw it dart out to eat. Once I got the neon out, the flasher came out for good and is thriving.

Here are a few pics. Thanks for looking!
IMG_9134.jpeg
IMG_9135.jpeg
IMG_9136.jpeg
IMG_9137.jpeg
IMG_9138.jpeg
IMG_9139.jpeg
IMG_9140.jpeg
IMG_9141.jpeg
IMG_9142.jpeg
IMG_9144.jpeg
IMG_9145.jpeg
IMG_9146.jpeg
IMG_9147.jpeg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jokes aside, here is what came in the box:

5 pack assorted acros (one will die for sure, the other 4 are brown duds but hopefully they color up into something cool).

Hellfire Torch.

Glow stem torch.

Aussie Cultured Elegance.

Zombie LTA.

Freebie: A frag of some LPS like Favia or something like it.

Order process: I thought I picked yesterday for delivery date but I guess fat fingered it because I never got a tracking notice. I reached out and asked why. They told me the date I selected which was the day after my wife’s upcoming ACL surgery. I asked if I could have another day and since I work from home it can be whenever. They let me know they are squeezing me in and shipping yesterday. I hate Thursday ships because a delay on the overnight will sometimes push it to Monday which is usually disastrous but I just went with it.

I wake up this morning and first thing I check is my tracking and of course, it’s been delayed in Louisville and they updated my delivery day to Monday. I was less than happy. I go look up their terms and searched here for people’s experiences with delays and see they accept no responsibility for deaths caused by weather or mechanical issues. Was feeling even less happy.

The reef god must have smiled upon me because it somehow ended up being delivered this morning and almost everything was looking great.

I’ll post some pics once things have settled in.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of limpets eating acros. Do you have any photos of the damage that they cause? How did you get rid of them?
IMG_9382.jpeg

I first discovered this when I was running my IM 25 lagoon and one night was looking for critters with a flashlight and saw a large limpet eating my snipers blue which I couldn’t figure out why it was receding. They eat the top layer but leave the polyps so it looks like rtn but the polyps stay put. These limpets are from the gulf and I haven’t seen them eating actos until they get like 1/2” long. They have a trunk like mouth that eats the acros. I had been having some colonies look like our friend Marvin there and had totally forgotten about the limpets from 2 years ago. I came into my office where the tank is and turned on the lights late at night and saw them in my Oregon tort colony just eating away. I spent the next week coming in every night and killing them with a long and skinny knife. I killed 11 and have not seen any the last few times I checked and all my acros are recovering nicely.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9382.jpeg

I first discovered this when I was running my IM 25 lagoon and one night was looking for critters with a flashlight and saw a large limpet eating my snipers blue which I couldn’t figure out why it was receding. They eat the top layer but leave the polyps so it looks like rtn but the polyps stay put. These limpets are from the gulf and I haven’t seen them eating actos until they get like 1/2” long. They have a trunk like mouth that eats the acros. I had been having some colonies look like our friend Marvin there and had totally forgotten about the limpets from 2 years ago. I came into my office where the tank is and turned on the lights late at night and saw them in my Oregon tort colony just eating away. I spent the next week coming in every night and killing them with a long and skinny knife. I killed 11 and have not seen any the last few times I checked and all my acros are recovering nicely.
Wow didn’t know what was a thing. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@happyhourhero What kind of sand are you using in your tank and how do you keep it so clean? Very impressive coraline growth on the sandbed!
I think I just used a bag of crushed coral and a couple bags of Fiji pink just from petco. I have a yellow cucumber that does a great job on the sand and have a sand sifting star that came with the tank. Also have a few nass snails and 2 conchs. My pistol shrimp with its 2 gobies takes care of the left side of the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back